If you’re not currently battling flu season, it is undoubtedly heading your way before long. The best defense is a healthy immune system, and it’s never too early (or too late!) to prepare your body to fight off illness.
None of us are immune – I recently came down with the flu for the first time in almost 6 years! I attribute my commitment to healthy living to what kept me healthy for so long, but getting sick is definitely the body’s way of sending you a message. I realized that, in spite of committing to my #JSHealthRestart meal plan and supplements, a key part of taking care of myself had slipped down the priority list. I was not giving myself time for proper rest! And that’s why I’m putting that at the tip top of my top 10 tips to fight the flu.
- Get a good night’s sleep and take time to rest and relax. 8 hours of sleep is a non-negotiable to fighting illness.
- Go into the Stress Free Zone daily – 10 minutes of solitude and time away from demands and technology (which has demands all its’ own!)
- Eat a well-balanced diet, including fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, fish, eggs, legumes and lean red meat.
- Daily Vitamin C – around 2g/day. If you feel the flu coming, increase to around 4g/day plus 30-50mg zinc. Go hard with these!
- Take a good quality fish oil – 2-4g daily (EPA/DHA).
- Take a daily high strength probiotic (or two!) before breakfast and before bed.
- Reduce your intake of mucous-forming foods, such as dairy, sugar and refined foods.
- Limit your consumption of alcohol.
- Drink at least 2 liters of filtered water every day.
- Drink delicious herbal teas – homemade lemon ginger and peppermint are great. I also recommend the fantastic immune boosting shot in my eBook, The Clean Life.