There are few things in life more uncomfortable than bloating, gas and flatulence! There are many issues that cause it – and these can be different for everyone – but these are a few of the top ways to not only improve your symptoms, but get rid of the issue for good! Here’s to that!
- Connect with food. Play food detective to figure out what agrees with you and what doesn’t. Be honest! Dairy and gluten can cause immediate bloating for many people. Next time you eat something you suspect does not make you feel well, write down your symptoms and try removing the food from your diet for a few weeks. Dairy and gluten-free diets are generally the most effective at reducing gas & bloating for most people.
- Pop a digestive enzyme with each main meal. It will help break down the food into smaller compounds that can be more easily absorbed and digested by your system. You can find them at health food stores or online at iherb.com.
- Drink ginger and chamomile herbal tea. Both help to ease stomach discomfort, and chamomile can actually help relax nerves and anxiety.
- Take a daily probiotic – this is live bacteria that is fantastic for your digestive system because it helps you break down food and absorb nutrients. Be sure to get a good quality brand (look for brands that need to be kept in the fridge!).
- Add 1 tsp. of glutamine powder in your smoothies each morning. Not only will it aid digestion, it’s powerful immune system support too.
- Stop chewing gum! Oh yes! It causes you to swallow excess air, which, of course, can lead to bloating. If you’re extra susceptible to flatulence, you’re likely to notice a difference right away if you cut out chewing gum. Cut it out cold turkey and you’ll be amazed!
- Take care of your stress levels. Stress has an impact on your ability to digest foods. Check out my post on dealing with stress and help nurture your gut by lowering your stress levels and calming your body so that it can rest & digest!
For more nutrition guidance and 100+ healthy, delicious recipes, check out Jess’ online Program – the JSHealth Program; your 8-week plan to quit diets, find balance and live the healthy life. Find out more here.