I am embarking on a 7-10 day seasonal cleanse. Focusing mainly on my systemic organs- namely the liver, gall bladder, lungs, lymphatic system and skin.
Will you join me?
Why do I need to cleanse? What is there possibly to clean out I ask myself! You may be wondering too!
Really just to give my body some extra TLC, to remain healthy & solidify increasingly strong foundations of health!
Cleansing really just means ‘taking off the load’, giving the body a rest! We live in a toxic world where unfortunately our bodies accumulate toxic build up from a variety of both healthy and unhealthy situations. We’re exposed to harmful substances all the time; they’re in our diet (pesticides, microbes, and mercury, to name a few) and the very air we breathe (think disinfectants, deodorizers, and the gasses released by fresh paint). Fortunately, we have an excellent system in place to handle those toxins: Enzymes throughout the body are continuously breaking them down and helping to flush them out. A detox works by optimizing that system. True cleaning—a strategy that helps your body rid itself of toxins.
Signs of toxic build up…
- Feeling tired, sluggish or lethargic
- Trouble concentrating and staying focused
- Weight loss is difficult
- Hormonal imbalance
- Low libido
- Skin problems
- Mood changes
- Personal: Unfortunately I was told I have high mercury levels from consuming too much canned tuna/farmed fish in my past. I stay clear of all farmed fish and most canned tuna now. My levels are slowly going down (yay). All heavy metals pass through the liver- so we want the liver to function optimally in order to pass through the heavy metals.
- Re group and regenerate – the last few weeks have felt a bit overwhelming, fast paced, slightly exhausting and perhaps stressful. This is the same for most of you I’m sure- the start of a new year usually feels like this. It is okay and normal but the body takes a toll.
- I want to reconnect and flow with the changing seasons, climate, and my environment.
- Clear my mind and open my heart- I am so blessed to have been offered so many amazing health and business opportunities in the last few weeks/months (thanks to the birth of my blog) and because of the kind of person I am, I want to say YES to everything and it has unfortunately left me feeling very overwhelmed and pulled into too many directions. I am a full time student and I feel my studies are what I need to focus on at this point- just a few more months. Focusing on so many things at once halts my ability to focus on one thing at a time and I feel I am completing things half-heartedly. I feel I need to refocus.
- I enjoy 1 coffee a day ( in the morning)- I want to test how reliant my body is on this ritual! The less caffeine the better!
What will my cleanse consist of?
- Fresh Wholefoods (organic and local where possible) – of course this is what my diet consists of anyway but this means NOTHING PROCESSED- nothing from a packet/bottle. So what is processed in my diet? I have to say bye bye to:
- Any form of protein powder (although I use a natural powder, it is still somewhat processed and my body is craving a break from it). I will use a fresh egg in my smoothie or LSA mix as my source of protein.
- No stevia (found in the packet)- only stevia leaf allowed.
- No dairy- Bye bye to my morning 1x/day coffee ritual + Greek yoghurt ( I loveeeee greek yoghurt but I am taking a break from dairy).
- Almond milk from the health store- I have to make my own (remember nothing from a carton/packet).
- Mustard (sounds strange haha) but I LOVE mustard. Most mustards you buy (organic or not) are processed and contain sugar, salt and vinegars. Quit acidic!
Home exercise for you…
On this note: I want to encourage you to do STOCKTAKE of your your pantry and read the back of anything that is in a packet, even if it considered to be a ‘health product’ and report back. You may be surprised!
- Diet: again no caffeine, alcohol, dairy, grains ( will have some quinoa and organic rolled oats- soaked), sugar. I will eat lots of vegies (+ fermented vegies for my gut health), low sugar fruits (grapefruit, green apples, berries- I may add a banana here and there), nuts and seeds, chicken, fish (wildly caught) and grass fed meats (I am including meat in my plan- some people don’t during detox but the body needs protein/ amino acids to detoxify efficiently)
- I will wake up to lemon water or my Metaboost drink– great cleanser!
- I will dry brush every night before bed to encourage my lymphatic system to detox – see more about dry brushing here
- I am taking the following supplements to encourage the detox pathways: B complex, zinc, Vitamin C, probiotic and liver herbs (given to me by my naturopath)
- I will also use chlorella tablets.
- Water – 2- 3 liters a day – lemon and chlorophyll will be added.
- Herbal teas- dandelion root, nettle, lemongrass and chamomile.
- Lots of brassica veg- broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale. They induce the liver to detox.
- Daily breathing rituals – 20 diaphragm breathes morning and night for my nervous system.
- Mindful eating. I will sit, breathe and eat in a calm state.
- Epsom salt bath- 3x/week
- Lots of spices and herbs like parsley, coriander, mint, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and garlic. Great for cleansing!
- Remove and be aware of all chemicals in my environment, found in cleaning, beauty or home products. I will avoid using heavy moisturizers, perfumes, lotions, makeup etc.
- Yoga as often as I can.
- Brisk walks.
- Declutter my environment – I will clean out my space at home!
- Bed by 9:30 pm for repair.
The NO NO list on a cleanse:
- Refined salt
- Grains (wheat & gluten)
- Sugar/sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners (fructose, honey, malt, glycerin, dextrose, lactose, maltose, glucose, or corn syrups )
- Vegetable oils (canola, sunflower, safflower, grapeseed, sesame seed, rice bran, corn, soybean and cottonseeds oils)
- Milk solids, milk powder or processed milk (that is both pasteurised and homogenised.
- Soy (soy lecithin or flour or milk)
- Corn: corn starch, maize, corn flour
- Potato starch
- Egg powder
- White flour or flour that isn’t whole or freshly milled.
I will post pictures of my cleansing journey – you can copy me! Follow me on Instagram! Name: JShealth
Your skin will be glowing, your gut will be healed, your energy will be back up, sleep will be deeper and your weight will be happy!