Starting your day with a good breakfast is a huge part of the health equation.
Eating a wholesome breakfast kick starts your digestion, metabolism and feeds your body the necessary vitamins and minerals it needs to function at an optimum level!
Skipping meals also signals to the brain that the body is ‘starving’ which can trigger certain stress hormones to be released (such as cortisol) which creates all kinds of hormonal and digestion havoc! Protein and fat are essential at this time to ensure blood sugar stabilisation.
My Top Breakfast Options:
- Power Protein Shake
- 200g Greek style yoghurt/Coconut yoghurt with berries and cinnamon + 1 serving protein powder or LSA mix + almond butter. Sprinkle top with stevia/raw honey. Freeze for homemade froyo.
- 1/3 cup oats/quinoa flake porridge (oatmeal) with 1 protein serving such as:
- 2 tbsp. Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp. nut butter
- 2 tbsp. LSA mix
- 1 serving Protein Powder
- 1/4 cup nuts and seeds
4. 2 egg omelet (or 3 egg whites) with lots of greens + 1/4 avo on gluten free grain-quinoa, sweet potato, pumpkin or flaxseed crackers or 1x spelt/rye toast (they have less gluten)
5. Sweet omelet: 2 eggs, tbsp. Greek yoghurt, tbsp.. Ground flaxseed, cinnamon, frozen berries, 1/2 banana. Mix well. Fry in coconut oil
6. 1 or 2 boiled/poached eggs with sautéed spinach, onion, zucchini, tomatoes (whatever veggies you prefer), drizzle of lemon + 1/4 avocado with 1x starch e.g.: flaxseed crackers/sweet potato or 1x fruit. E.g. berries. I love to roll my boiled eggs in spices- turmeric, dukka, zatar.
7. Ezekial toast with 3 tbsp. cottage cheese/ricotta + piece of smoked salmon+ 1/4 avo and sliced tomatoes.
8. Sweet cottage cheese: Ezekial toast with 3-4 tbsp. cottage cheese/ricotta, drizzle honey and cinnamon.
9. Baked Mountain Bread Parcels with cottage cheese, pesto and tomatoes
10. Spinach Bread with 1-2 boiled eggs rolled in spice of choice + side of avocado + sliced tomatoes + fresh rocket
11. Pan-fried mushrooms in coconut oil and thyme with goat’s cheese and herbs.
13. Shakshua/Baked eggs
14. Baked cinnamon sweet potato ( baked in coconut oil and cinnamon in oven) with 1-2 boiled eggs and avocado
15. Egg white crepes
16. Homemade sugar- free granola with 2-3 tbsp greek yoghurt/coconut yoghurt + sprinkle of chia seeds
17. Smashed avocado with goats cheese and tomato on toast: 1/2 avo smashed with lemon juice, Himalayan salt, missed seeds + sprinkle of goats cheese and sliced tomatoes