The silly season is in full swing – especially for my friends in the United States, who celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday! It’s a time filled with delicious food at every turn; while I fully embrace healthy moderation, there can be too much of a good thing! It’s important to eat mindfully, but also to move on and forgive yourself when you do overindulge. And it can be difficult to do that when you feel bloated and uncomfortable!
However, there are things you can do to help beat the bloat after a big meal:
- The morning after, I encourage you to enjoy warm lemon water with a 1/2 lemon juice and some fresh grated ginger upon waking. This is something you can do every morning to help detox your system, but especially after a big meal.
- Drink aloe vera juice every morning
- Add 2-4 grams of glutamine to your smoothies.
- Throughout the day, enjoy some chamomile, peppermint or green tea. Herbal tea is always a great choice to hydrate and detox the body, just be sure you’re drinking plenty of water.
- Prior to a big meal, I also think it’s important to take a digestive enzyme – just to get things started!
- Take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar before each main meal.
- General walking after a meal is always a good practice to get your system moving.
- Try one of my favourite stretches: I put my legs up against the wall for 10-15 minutes and focus on deep breathing. Deep breathing calms the nervous system, which aids digestion.
- It’s actually best to not drink much water in the time immediately before and after a meal, because it interrupts digestion. Small sips are fine.
- Slow down and chew each bite at least 10-20 times.
- Really – slow down! Eating too fast leads to gas and bloating, and it also prevents you from recognizing when you’re satiated.
- Try to avoid eating fruit on a full stomach, as it ferments there and leads to gas and bloating. Starting the day with fruit and having it as a snack between meals is ideal.
- If you’re already feeling bloated, chew on some raw fennel. It sounds strange, but it works magic on bloating!