Love your pasta? Me too! Here is the nutritious alternative that leaves you feeling satisfied – minus the bloat. Zoodles are simply zucchini spiralised into strips like spaghetti, and I am convinced they actually taste better than pasta! The kids won’t even notice that you’re sneaking in extra veggies.
Prep Time: 45 minutes, including cooking
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 400 g lean organic minced beef
- 150 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 truss tomatoes, finely diced or 1 x 400 g tin organic diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup organic tomato passata
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 4 thyme sprigs
- Celtic sea salt and ground pepper
- 4 large zucchini
- shaved parmesan and small basil leaves, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the mince and cook for a further 5 minutes or until browned, breaking up any lumps with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute, then add the tomato, stock, tomato passata, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf and thyme. Stir well and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15–20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, using a vegetable spiraliser or vegetable peeler and knife, cut the zucchini (skin on) into thin, noodle-like strips (zoodles). Set aside in a sieve over a large bowl.
- To serve, toss the zoodles through the bolognese sauce and top with parmesan and basil leaves.
This is one of the many beautiful, easy and delicious recipes from my second book, Living the Healthy Life – click here to pre-order your copy, released February 2017!