A smoothie can be an incredibly nutritious breakfast option and takes no time to whip together. However, store bought smoothies (or even sometimes the ones we make at home!) can be incredibly high in sugar. Furthermore, if they are not balanced they can also leave us hungry again 30 minutes later.
Putting together a nutritious breakfast is incredibly important because how we start our day can impact our energy levels and eating choices later on.
Your smoothie should contain a mix of protein, carbohydrates, healthy fat and also fibre! Here is my simple guide to building a delicious and balanced smoothie:
Start with a serving of fibre rich fruit or grain such as:
- 1 banana, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup berries, fresh or frozen
- 1-2 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 2-3 tbsp rolled oats
- ½-1 pear or green apple
- ½ block frozen acai
Pick a protein:
- 1 serve whey or plant-based protein powder like our JSHealth Protein + Probiotics
- 2 tbsp LSA (ground linseed, sunflower and almond meal)
- 3 tbsp Greek yoghurt
Add a healthy fat source. Pick one from the options below (they are all fibre-rich too!):
- ¼ avocado
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp nuts or seeds
- 2 tbsp shredded or desiccated coconut
Looking to increase your daily vegetable intake? Add something green!
- ½ zucchini, chopped and frozen
- ½ cucumber, chopped and frozen
- Handful of baby spinach leaves
- 1 kale leave, destemmed and roughly torn
- Handful of fresh herbs
Blend with 1 cup of milk or water and a handful of ice. Then feel free to add in any additional flavours such as ground cinnamon, lemon or lime zest, cacao powder, vanilla and so on.
You can find plenty more delicious, quick and easy smoothie ideas in the JSHealth App. You can download the app on iTunes. For the month of January, new users receive 50% off a yearly subscription or 50% off their first month!