When I was in L.A. recently, I had the pleasure meeting holistic nutritionist and cleanse expert, Elissa Goodman. While she was sitting across from me and telling me how she healed her cancer through cleansing and overhauling her lifestyle, I couldn’t help but wonder how her skin was so radiant. When I asked her how old she was, and she said 54 years old, I was blown away! I had to know immediately how she keeps her skin so young, vibrant, and radiant. She told me her five best tips and I want to give them to you. Take it away, Elissa!
1. Superfoods. If Wonder Woman could only eat one thing, it would be superfoods! She would fly higher, run faster, and be stronger than ever before! That’s because superfoods have the most amount of nutrients and benefits packed into a small amount of food. Ladies, we don’t just want to survive, it’s time for us to thrive and superfoods give us everything our body needs to thrive! My favorite superfoods are spirulina, goji berries, maca, hemp seeds, chia seeds, reishi, and camu camu. I wrote a whole blog post on it here.
2. From the Inside Out. The appearance of your skin is nothing more than an out picturing of inner health. Rather than focusing what creams I put on the outside of my skin, I focus on what I’m putting in my body, because that is what shows up on my face. Staying hydrated is key as are vitamins B, C, and E as they boost collagen production, rebuild and repair skin tissue, oxygenate the skin, and decrease free radical cellular damage. Beta carotenes and omega’s also increase collagen production, increase elasticity, and create a glowing skin tone. You shouldn’t ignore the benefit of essential minerals for good skin health; selenium, zinc, iron, and sulphur also enhance the appearance of skin. Drinking natural ingredients of rosewater, coconut milk, aloe vera, and essential oils show up directly my face. These ideas come from ancient Ayurveda principles, that have been proven for thousands of years! Check out more of my favorite Ayurveda ideas here.
3. Bed by 10pm. In our culture, we are all working so hard. It’s this go-go mentality and it’s impressive to accomplish a lot on only a few hours of sleep! But, that has to STOP. The amount of sleep we get is directly correlated with our body’s ability to heal and repair. Not getting enough sleep is like working out really hard without stretching!! Your body needs at least 8-9 hours of sleep every single night. You need to sleep to have the healthy glow and vibrancy in your skin! The best hours for sleep are between 10pm to 2am, because, biologically we reset our inner clocks between 10pm and 2am and those four hours are vital. Have your fun, but save it for the weekend – make it a work week goal to be in bed by 10pm!
4. Feel your feelings. Work out your emotional stuff. Take the time to talk out your feelings. Don’t let your emotions get trapped in your body, when emotions get trapped in your body, it shows directly on your skin. Have you seen someone that just looks like they have a lot of pent up emotion on their face? This literally changes your facial muscles, and not for the better! I always say, “try to be okay with not being okay”. Give yourself permission to feel when things aren’t going so great and let it be okay that you’re not feeling okay. My favorite ways to process emotions are to work out, go to therapy, get into a meditation class, talk to friends, reach out to my mentors, and to give to others! When I reach out and offer something to others and truly focus on what I can give, I feel an endorphin release and quickly find my happiness again.
5. Get back to your gut. Gut health is the cornerstone of your entire wellness. If you’re not digesting and fully absorbing the nutrients of your foods, the lack of nutrients will show up on your skin. We need to help our gut to digest properly. We can take probiotics, eat well-rounded range of fermented foods (from kombucha and coconut water kefir to pickled veggies and sauerkraut), and add a good digestive enzymes into our routines. The food that we’re eating on a daily basis is complicated for our bodies to digest. Wouldn’t you rather spend the energy we expend on working so hard to digest our food and use it on keeping our skin fresh and renewed instead?
*BONUS* If you need an extra anti-aging boost for your skin, I recommend gliSODin Skin Nutrients, because they contain Superocide Dismutase, a powerful enzyme that repairs cells and reduces cellular damage. This product contains Krill Oil (a high source of Omega 3’s), Red Clover for natural antioxidants, Cocoa, and Hyaluronic Acid. Taken in capsule form, this combination works on existing fine lines and wrinkles and maintains the health of your skin by providing added elasticity, hydration and a glowing skin tone!
Elissa Goodman is a holistic nutritionist and cleanse expert based in Los Angeles. Elissa discovered that food and self-love was the key to health and happiness from a bout in her thirties with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. She espouses a clean, preservative-free diet-filled with fresh produce and high quality products-and emphasizes the importance of daily de-stressing activities including soul searching. In addition to running her practice servicing clients, Elissa is the creator of the RESET Your Life with cleanse programs at the most well respected health-oriented eatery M Cafe and Elissa designs her own specialized juices for Erewhon Natural Market.