When it comes to high-nutrient veggies, broccoli is one of my absolute favourite options. It’s high in fibre, vitamins, minerals and is great in helping the body to cleanse and detoxify. These fritters are the easiest way to incorporate broccoli into your diet and can be served as a quick dinner, side dish or even breakfast. Just add a dollop of Greek yoghurt, a squeeze of fresh lemon and some extra parmesan sprinkled on top.
Makes: 8 fritters
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 free-range eggs
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- 1/3 cup parmesan, shaved
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Greek yoghurt, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Steam or boil the broccoli florets until they’re slightly tender but not too soft. Drain the broccoli and set it aside to cool slightly.
- In a food processor, add the cooked broccoli, eggs, almond meal, lemon rind, parmesan, garlic clove and salt. Pulse until the mixture comes together. Add a little more almond meal if it seems too wet.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add a heaped tablespoon of the fritter mixture to the pan and shape into a fritter. Repeat until you have 4 fritters cooking at once.
- Turn down the heat – remember, cook the fritters slowly! Cook the fritters on one side until they’re golden (7-10 mins) then flip carefully and fry for a further 5 mins until cooked through. Repeat with remaining fritters.
- Serve the fritters with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and fresh lemon wedges.