Every September, I like to give my mind and body a much needed cleanse. If, like me, you’ve been feeling the toll of winter, undertaking a cleanse can be an effective way to put the spring back in your step. This signature three-step JSHealth cleanse is a much gentler process and the results can be amazing; I’m talking glowing skin, a cleansed liver, restored energy, deeper sleep and weight balance. It also gives the body a break from alcohol and caffeine, which often causes fatigue and bloating. If you’re a regular coffee drinker, taking a break from caffeine might give you a mild headache but don’t let that discourage you; just increase your water intake and replace your daily coffee with a herbal tea.
This cleanse can be undertaken for three to five days. If you’ve done the JSHealth cleanses before, you might like to opt for five days. If this is your first time cleansing, you might like to try three days to get you started.
THE JSHEALTH 3-STEP CLEANSE
Step 1: Clean up your diet
You will need to cut out these drinks and foods for three to five days:
- Cow’s dairy
- Soy milk
- Refined sugar and sweeteners
- Wheat and gluten
- Red meat
- Trans fats, such as those found in processed and deep-fried foods
Instead, opt for seasonal veggies (lots of leafy greens), fresh fruit (berries and green apples are best), gluten-free grains (such as quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat), nuts, seeds, high-quality fish, organic eggs and chicken. Also, try cooking with coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil.
Step 2: Create healthy lifestyle habits
- Get sweating: Get your blood and lymphatic system flowing to accelerate the release of toxins. Try and exercise for at least 30 minutes each day.
- Hydrate: Aim to drink two to three litres of filtered water a day to help your kidneys flush out toxins. Herbal teas are also great for increasing fluid intake and assisting the cleansing process.
- Use herbs and spices: They help to add flavour to your meals, plus they assist the body with detoxification. My detox faves are turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
- Commit to eight hours of sleep: Good-quality shut-eye allows our bodies to heal and regenerate new cells, which is so important when you’re cleansing.
- Practise emotional self-care: When we cleanse, our bodies flush out toxins and sometimes this can cause certain emotions to rise. It’s common to feel more sensitive, maybe a little more vulnerable so make sure you set aside time for you.
- See a naturopath: The can help you to make up some cleansing herb tonics.
- Take vitamins: I recommend supplementing under the guidance of a medical practitioner. For cleansing, I recommend a liver formula that contains a mix of herbs and nutrients to help flush your system. I also like to use a brassica sprout powder, a fibre blend in powder or capsule form and magnesium citrate/glycinate at night.
Step 3: Detox your environment
Once you’ve started cleansing internally, it’s time to look at the outside factors contributing to the toxin build-up and remove those too.
- Be mindful: Be present at each moment and become more mindful of your breath.
- Detox your cleaning products: Make a point of looking at the contents of your cleaning products and switch to organic options.
- Buy organic whenever possible: Head to your local farmers’ market. If that’s not possible, wash or peel fruit and veggies to remove pesticides.
- Minimise exposure to plastic: Use paper bags to store food, mason jars instead of plastic containers and don’t heat foods in plastic. Invest in a good quality water filter and use a stainless steel bottle instead of plastic.
- Choose cosmetics wisely: Try switching to natural skin and hair products or even make your own. Don’t use fake tan, use an aluminium-free deodorant and use natural sanitary products.
After the cleanse, you should be feeling lighter and more energetic. Let’s keep those good vibes going by giving your body even more love. Do any or all of these things:
- Take an Epsom salt bath three times a week.
- Jump into the ocean whenever you can.
- Practise deep belly breathing every day.
- Get into a sauna or steam room whenever you can.
- Treat yourself to a lymphatic or Thai massage.
- Challenge yourself to avoid alcohol for up to a month. Hello, clean liver and gut!
- Continue to detox your home and environment.
- Schedule in this cleanse for the beginning of next month. Diarise it so you know it’s coming (and dare I say it, look forward to it!).