A few weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to stay at Vana, an Ayurvedic wellness clinic in India. For seven days, it was just ‘me time’. I meditated every day, practised yoga three times a day, ate only Ayurvedic foods and experienced Ayurvedic cleansing treatments with incredible doctors. I was completely detached from the stress of modern-day life. I was disconnected from phone calls, texts, social media and my work computer.
I spent a lot of time in silence, connecting to the deepest part of myself – which isn’t always easy for someone who has an over-active mind. For once, I had dedicated time to reflect on my life.
Here are some of the life-changing lessons I learnt during that week:
- Spend time in silence and solitude: Silence is so healing for the mind, body and soul.
- Be kind: It’s always possible. During that week, I met some of the kindest people I’ve ever met.
- Practise gratitude: Let’s replace our perceptions of ‘not enoughness’ or ‘lack of’ with love and gratitude. It’s utterly life-changing.
- Meditate more: I find meditating so challenging, but maybe it’s what I need most.
- Move your body slowly: moving my body mindfully is so healthy for my mind and body.
- Breathe more deeply: Breathing exercises calm down anxiety brilliantly.
- Practise creative visualisation: our minds are so powerful at creating our vision and dreams. It’s time we believe it.
- A social media detox is healing: I felt a sense of freedom without posting or scrolling on social media – we all need to commit to a digital detox every now and then to re-energise.
- Disconnect from technology: Less phone and screen time helps me feel more connected and joyful. It also gives me energy and helps me sleep better.
- Put yourself first: practising self-care is not only okay, but it’s essential for living a healthy life.
- Soften the heart: It relieves fears and judgements towards ourselves and others. This was a big lesson for me.
- Spend time in nature: It makes us feel happier, calmer and more peaceful.
- Forgiveness sets you free: I chose to forgive the people who have hurt me and wish them well, for the sake of my health and happiness. They no longer deserve my time or energy.
- Eat mindfully: Food tastes so much more delicious when it’s eaten mindfully and without any technology distraction or rushing.
- Yoga helps with body love: It helps me foster kinder thoughts towards my physical body.
I came out of my seven-day retreat with a heart full of love and gratitude for everything in my life – my husband, family, friends, work and, of course, the JSHealth community.
I’m so grateful to have had this time to cleanse my mind and body because I’m about to enter my biggest work period yet. In a few weeks, I launch the JSHealth App and second vitamin formula into Australia, the US and then globally.
I’m so excited and now energised to share it with you. The app is my proudest project that has been a year in the making. I know that it’s going to help so many people.
I hope these lessons will help you in some way.