Welcome to my second Meatless Monday! Each Monday I will be sharing with you a great nutritious meat free recipe that you can make for lunch or dinner (or even breakfast with this one) each week. Going meatless once a week has many health benefits and can help reduce your carbon footprint.
This week I have re-made one of my favourite dishes from About Life (a cafe, supermarket, herbal dispensary and healthy catering service all in one), the Egg Nourishment! Of course, I have slightly tweaked it a little, to make it a complete meal, making it supercharged.
- 2 organic free range eggs (whisked together)
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- basil pesto
- 1 piece of kale
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- sprinkle of linseeds
- sprinkle of slithered almonds (optional – or any other nut your like)
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1/2 an avocado (sliced into little pieces)
- Combine the quinoa with 2/3 cups of filtered water in a pot on the stove and bring to the boil. Then place the lid over the pot, reduce the heat, and let it simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Cut the kale into small strips, and slice the cherry tomatoes in halves. Place both into a bamboo steamer, and place over the cooking quinoa instead of the lid (if you don’t have a bamboo steamer, steam the kale and tomatoes in whatever you do have).
- If you haven’t got any pesto in the fridge, use this time to put it together, you can use my pesto recipe, its super easy and quick to make (you can use cashews instead of walnuts if you would prefer).
- Once the quinoa is cooked, take the bamboo steamer off and set aside, add the whisked eggs into the quinoa, and continue to cook over a light heat, stirring frequently.
- Once the eggs have cooked in with the quinoa, add a couple of tablespoons of pesto (to whatever pesto’y consistency you would like, I usually add about 2-3 heaped tablespoons) and mix all together.
- Once the eggs, quinoa and pesto are combined, fold in the steamed kale and cherry tomatoes, then turn off the heat.
- Transfer into your bowl, lightly drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle linseeds, slithered almonds and avocado on top & serve.