Many of my clients/followers have been asking me what I eat on a day-to-day basis.
I have said it over and over. The key is to stick to foods as close to their natural state as possible. Forget about the latest fad diet, counting calories and carbs. They are short-term fixes that put your body under incredible amounts of stress and they are the reason why we have a complicated relationship with food. I was a slave to fad diets! Eat foods that your body can digest easily and absorb well. What Mother Nature intended! She did not intend for us to memorise how many carbs and proteins we have had in a day!? Oh it frustrates me. But of course it is important to be aware of these macronutrients (carbs, fat, proteins) so we have a balanced diet and get the required nutrients. That should be your focus. Alkalised body is a healthy body Blood sugar stabilization is the key to a good weight
A rested body is a health body
Preparation is key to sustaining health long term- especially for the busy ones! Im busy! You have to make the choice.
My food guidelines that keep me so healthy, so happy. Alkaline foods- MORE dark leafy greens, veggies, fruits, whole grains, nuts, seeds, sprouts, apple cider vinegar. Avoiding artificial ANYTHING- NO to diet soda, NO to artificial sweetner. Can you read and pronounce the ingredients? If no- don’t buy. It is poison. Less gluten and wheat. Our bodies find it hard to digest Gliadin (the protein found in gluten). Why no wheat? These day wholewheat products are usually very processed and hard to digest too. Enjoy gluten free grains and starchy veg like quinoa, amaranth, brown rice, buckwheat, sweet potato, pumpkin. Rye and spelt are lower in gluten- these are good wholegrain options! Limit dairy to 2x/day- most of us don’t have the enzymes (lactase) to break it down well. So careful! I personally cannot live without Greek yoghurt! Enjoy dairy free options such as almond milk, rice milk, coconut milk. NOT SOY. 1 cup of caffeine a day max- you don’t need the extra adrenalin. Most of you are stressed enough. Less salt- using Himalayan salt/Celtic sea salt instead. More good fat- olive oil, avocado, flaxseed and coconut oil (coco to cook with!). A LOT less sugar- using stevia and natural fruits instead. Indulge in your favorite foods 1-2x/week- balance is key. Life is too short.
Keep healthy snacks close by at all time- we don’t want your blood sugar levels dropping!
Water, water, water- all day long.
Here is a sample day of what I eat. Oh I love food, good food, and whole-foods.
Here you go…
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar in warm water
- or 1/2 lemon in warm water -WARM- Boiling water kills Vitamin C- See benefits here
Breakfast- protein and good fat at this time is key to ensure stable blood sugar levels. I change it up all the time but at the moment I am enjoying:
- My Power Protein Smoothie here. I believe a smoothie is the perfect breakfast. Easy to absorb and packed with the necessary nutrients. My smoothie is filled with superfoods that are rich in antioxidants, fibre, nutrients and minerals that will keep you glowing for the day! It is so delicious. Helps me control my weight and my cravings!
- Or Fit Protein pancakes here. If you are craving something sweet and fluffy, give these a go! Oh they are too good.
Weekends– egg based breaky. Usually 2 organic poached eggs with sautéed vegies and avocado on a gluten-free seeded grain + 1 good quality coffee. [Supplements] B complex/Multivitamin + Omega 3 Mid morning– If you eat breaky early enough, you need this one. Blood sugar stabilisation is key! Chai tea (any herbal tea) with almond milk and sprinkle of cinnamon + I have one of the following:
- Green juice. I love the Wellness Warrior’s green juice. Find here
- 20 tamari/raw almonds
- 1 cup blueberries /1 stone fruit e.g.: apple/pear
- 1-2 Jess’s protein bites here
- Either tuna/organic chicken breast/lentil salad (JAM PACKED with dark leafy greens-spinach, kale, silverbeet etc) with gluten free grain option such quinoa, brown rice, sweet potato/pumpkin/roast beetroot or a rye mountain bread wrap + My alkalising salad dressing. Really want bread? Make your own seeded bread here
- Or my lettuce cups here
- Or brown rice sushi w extra sashimi (need protein at lunch!) + seaweed salad.
Jess’s alkalizing dressing’- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar+ 1 tsp Dijon mustard + 1 tsp olive oil + 1 tsp sweet chilli/unhulled tahini. Arvo snack– I always recommend my clients have this because this is when the dreaded afternoon slump seems to set in and we want to reach for the sugar- oh oh :O Protein rich snack is better at this time to keep blood sugar levels stable until dinner.
- Again- My Power Protein smoothie is great at this time – 1/2 portion if not hungry. (recipe is above)
- 1-2 Protein bites. Find recipe here
- 2 dates filled with raw nuts- Tamari almonds are amazing in these.
- My Kale chips here– you have to try these!
- My homemade froyo here– too good to miss out on this.
- My sesame salmon here with green vegies such as brussels sprouts, kale, asparagus + sweet potato/ roasted beetroot.
- Or lettuce cups here with fish, chicken breast, lean meat, quinoa.
- Or Zucchini pasta with either fish, chicken, meat. Find recipe here
[Supplements] 1x zinc and 1x probiotic. Remember- 2 liters of water down a day. Hydration is key to a healthy body and clear skin. Sweet cravings after dinner? Hungry late at night? No No, don’t reach for the sugar. Especially not now :/… please my friendies!
- I have Chai /chamomile tea + stevia/1 tsp organic honey.
- 2x/week I dip 70% dark choc into my tea J
- Try my homemade froyo here.
- Strawberries dipped in no, not nutella, Rawtella! YUMMM. Find recipe here
- Delicious bliss ball by A Path to Wellness. Find recipe here
Remember, if you are craving something indulgent! Do it! Don’t deprive yourself. We have all deprived ourselves for too long! It is so boring!Trick is… to eat it mindfully and with moderation in mind. Positive feelings must be associated with the indulgence, no guilt. Your body will thank you!
This week I indulged in 2 glasses of red wine and a bowl of apple crumble with hazelnut ice-cream.
Love life! Make the choice.