As a nutritionist, I’m often asked about my tips for healthy hair and clear skin. I’m happy to tell you that it’s easier than you think, and it certainly doesn’t involve any expensive products or outlandish procedures. It’s amazing how well our bodies respond to consistent TLC. Here are my tried-and-tested beauty secrets.
For thick, lustrous hair:
- Eat real food: Whole foods contain many of the nutrients that we need for strong, beautiful hair! Silica, for example, is key for hair growth. To up your intake, eat lots of green leafy vegetables, cucumber, zucchini, mango, and beans. Zinc is equally important and can be found in eggs, pecans, Brazil nuts, and fresh oysters. Iodine is another must for strong hair and can be found in fish.
- Consider supplements: Invest in a good quality multi-mineral vitamin that contains zinc and iodine, such as my own signature JSHealth Vitamins for Hair + Energy.
For healthy, glowing skin:
- Eat wholefoods: This means unprocessed foods with plenty of greens, lean protein, and healthy fat from nuts, seeds and oily fish. This is where we obtain most of the vitamins and minerals that are so vital for our skin’s renewal.
- Stay hydrated: That means drinking one and a half to two litres of water each day. Keep a stainless steel bottle with you throughout the day. Hydrated skin is happy skin!
- Decrease stress: I firmly believe that stress is the number one thing that sabotages our health and beauty. If you feel stressed on the inside, it will show on the outside. Be sure to fit in at least 10 to 20 minutes of downtime each day. It can be yoga, a brisk walk, belly breathing, reading, or some pampering.
- Supplement with zinc: This trace element helps to regulate immunity and is believed to stimulate the production of new cells. I truly believe in the healing properties of zinc, which is why it’s a key ingredient in my range of vitamins.
For bright, shining eyes:
- Detox your body: Toxic build up the environment and the things we eat can cause dull, cloudy eyes. Try my JSHealth 3-day cleanse, which can be performed once a month.
- Get plenty of rest: Getting eights hours of sleep each night is a non-negotiable for me. After I finish up working for the day, I ensure that I switch off. I’ve found that when I’m overworked, I feel irritable and it makes it harder to get to sleep early – which only adds to my feeling tired. I now prioritise getting the rest my body needs to repair.
For clear, blemish-free skin:
- Drink warm water with lemon: I enjoy this hydration boost every morning. It aids the body with digestion and detoxification, which is key for skin health.
- Take care of your gut: Having a healthy gut microbiome is another key element for healthy skin. For my top 10 gut healing tips, check out my recent article here.
- Eat more good fats: This includes oily fish, nuts, seeds, olive oil, coconut oil and tahini.
For the ultimate beauty secret:
- Just when you’ve had enough rest, get some more: I simply cannot emphasise how important proper rest is for our overall wellbeing. A stressed, exhausted body cannot possibly function the way it is meant to. Rest is not a luxury; it is a necessity. Identify some time each and every day that allows you to relax and do something truly enjoyable – whether it’s a walk, meditation, reading a good book or simply unplugging and getting solid sleep. Your body will thank you.
I’m passionate about helping women reclaim their health and become the most vibrant, energetic versions of themselves, which is why I created the JSHealth Vitamins for Hair + Energy. For more health, nutrition and lifestyle tips, check out my 8-week Program.