Feeling a little under the weather? Many of my clients seem to be stuck in bed with the flu at the moment – winter is here in Sydney!
Whether it’s flu season where you are or if you’re prepping for warm weather travels, both require some extra effort to stay healthy. These are my top tips to keep your immune system strong. I have not had a sniffle in almost 3 years because of this!
- Eat a well-balanced diet including fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, fish, eggs, legumes and lean red meat.
- Increase vitamin C + zinc- I usually prescribe 4g of vitamin C/day for the flu + 30-50mg zinc. Go hard with these!
- Take a good quality fish oil – 2-4g (EPA/DHA).
- Take a daily high strength probiotic (or two!).
- Reduce your intake of mucous-forming foods such as dairy and refined foods.
- Use essential oils. Decongesting, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial essential oils of eucalyptus, thyme, lavender and peppermint may help to reduce the nasal and sinus congestion that accompanies upper respiratory tract infections.
- Avoid sugar, white flour products and alcohol.
- Drink at least 2 liters of filtered water every day.
- Drink some delicious herbal teas: homemade lemon ginger and peppermint are great. There is a great immune busting shot in my latest book, The Clean Life.
- Get a good night’s sleep and take time to rest and relax. 8 hours of sleep is a must.