I used to suffer from intense anxiety. I would wake up with that sick feeling in my stomach.
Anxiety is far too common these days. I am so passionate about helping people relieve themselves of this feeling.
Some nutritional and lifestyle tips to reduce anxiety:
• Sleep- bed by 9-10pm and rise with the sun. Sleep 7-8 hours.
• Sunshine– spend 15-30 minutes a day in the sun- expose skin (skin, arms, chest)- for adequate vitamin D and melatonin.
• Physical activity– 30 minutes a day of your favorite way to move your body. I love to walk, light jogging, yoga, Pilates. Outdoor exercise is optimal.
• Mind body medicine– 20 diaphragms breaths morning and night to activate your parasympathetic nervous system. Schedule down time. Enjoy restorative poses such as legs up on the wall for 10 minutes every day. Enjoy relaxation music daily. Have a massage. Meditate (in any way- just watching your breathe rise and fall will do!).
• Fun– joy can be found in the simplest things. Treat yourself to a movie, watch your fav TV show, see family and friends.
• Acupuncture could be helpful.
• Avoid: caffeine, alcohol, smoking, environmental pollutants, drug use.
• Dietary: Eat through the rainbow. Aim to have 5 servings of veggies daily. Eat nuts, seeds and sprouts. Increase fish intake. Enjoy good fats such as avocado, nuts and olive oil. Eat Dark chocolate. Drink more water. Avoid artificial sweeteners. Reduce dairy intake. Avoid trans fats, salt, fast foods and sugar found in soft drinks, lollies, biscuits, cakes and processed foods (white bread, white pasta).
• Helpful Supplements (from the guidance of a health practitioner) – fish oil, magnesium, B vitamins, Vitamin D, chamomile tea.
Finally. Find something to be grateful for daily. Gratitude relieves stress and anxiety.