I’m embarking on a 7 day seasonal cleanse next week and I want you to join me!
Spring is the perfect time to detox your body – to eat cleaner and more fresh food, rid your environment of toxins, get active and restart your system!
I will be doing it strictly for 5 days, starting October 17th, but if you feel amazing – keep going for 7 or 14 days!
The results can be amazing! Your skin will be glowing, your gut will be healed, your liver will be cleared, your energy will be restored, your sleep will be deeper and your weight will be balanced! It’s a total body renew – perfect for giving your body some extra TLC and increasing vitality before the best Summer months!
Throughout the next week I’ll be posting tips and tricks, as well as my step-by-step cleanse formula to help you look and feel your best as you progress – it’s time for a fresh start – a more energetic, vibrant and healthy YOU!
Tell-tale signs your body needs a break:
- Feeling tired, sluggish or lethargic
- Trouble concentrating and staying focused
- Weight loss is difficult
- Hormonal imbalance
- Low libido
- Skin problems
- Mood changes
What can I expect from a detox?
Cleansing is the perfect way to give your body a much-needed break, focusing on the systematic organs – namely the liver, gall bladder, lungs, lymphatic system and skin – it can work wonders for your physical, mental and spiritual health! I’m talking glowing skin, a calm and settled gut, reduced stress, more energy, better sleep, less junk cravings, improved eating habits, release of stored toxins and waste, rebalanced hormones and a happier you!
However you may feel a little awful for the first two days – this is normal. This is your body starting to cleanse.
So… What is the JSHealth Signature Cleanse?
Cleansing, to me, means giving the body a rest! We live in a world full of toxins and unfortunately, our bodies accumulate the toxic build up from a variety of areas of our lives. We’re exposed to these harmful substances all the time; they’re in our diet (pesticides, microbes and mercury for example) and the air we breathe (disinfectants, deodorants, gasses released by fresh paint etc.) Fortunately, our bodies are equipped with an excelled system to handle those toxins – enzymes throughout the body that are constantly breaking down nasties and helping to flush them out. A detox works by optimizing that system.
Will you join me?
Phase One: Cutting out the Nasties
What you will need to CUT for the next 7 days:
- Cow’s Dairy
- Refined sugar and sweeteners
- Wheat and Gluten
- Red meat (for now!)
- Bad fats: trans fats found in vegetable oils as well as processed and deep-fried foods
Opt for seasonal veggies, fresh fruit, gluten-free grains (like quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat), nuts & seeds, high quality, organic proteins (except for red meat) and coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil in your cooking. A full grocery list of detox-friendly foods can be found at the end of this post!
Phase Two: Lifestyle tips and tricks to get the most out of your cleanse!
Get your blood and lymphatic system flowing to accelerate the release of toxins. Try and exercise for at least 30 minutes each day – whether that is interval training or resistance/weight training, yoga or a brisk walk – work out what your body loves and commit to it for the full two weeks!
- Drink water, herbal teas and chlorophyll
Aim for 2-3 litres of filtered water a day to help your kidneys flush out toxins. Herbal teas are also great for increasing fluid intake and cleansing – I love dandelion root, lemon ginger, liquorice and green tea.
- Supplements to support you
- Herbal liver formula with dandelion root, milk thistle, turmeric. This is a good brand: http://au.iherb.com/Gaia-Herbs-Liver-Health-60-Veggie-Liquid-Phyto-Caps/9120
- Brassica sprout powder – most health food stores sell it
- Magnesium citrate powder – taken at night
- Chlorophyll to add into your water
- Psyllium husk caps at night – about 6 caps
- Extra: http://au.iherb.com/healthforce-nutritionals-intestinal-movement-formula-120-vegan-caps/19191 – 2-4 caps at night
All dosages to be directed by a health practitioner.
- Herbs & Spices
Add flavour without the nasties with herbs and spices! My detox faves are turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
- Increase your greens!
Nutrient density + antioxidant power = Super-greens: the ultimate cleansing foods. Dark leafy greens are best e.g. kale, spinach, broccoli, rocket and silverbeet. Adding more greens to your diet is the best thing you can do for your health.
- 8 hours of sleep!
Commit to rest everyday – it allows our bodies to heal and regenerate new cells – so important when you’re cleansing!
- Care for your emotional self
When we cleanse, our bodies flush out toxins and sometimes this can cause certain emotions to rise – we feel more sensitive, maybe a little more vulnerable so make sure you set aside time for YOU. Practice deep breathing, meditate, go for a walk in nature and embrace solitude. Enter the JSHealth Stress-Free Zone for at least 20 minutes each day! We want to soothe and nourish our minds and souls during any kind of cleanse.
Phase 3: Detoxifying your Environment
Once you’ve started cleansing internally, it’s time to look at the outside factors contributing to the toxin build-up and remove those too!
- Be mindful of what you are breathing in. Make a point of looking at the contents of your cleaning products – switch to natural detergents.
- Use aluminium-free deodorant.
- Buy organic whenever possible. Wash or peel fruit and veggies to remove pesticides otherwise.
- Invest in a good quality water filter and use a stainless steel bottle instead of plastic.
- Rearrange your daily schedule to minimise time spent in traffic.
- Minimise exposure to plastics: use paper bags to store food, mason jars instead of plastic containers and don’t heat foods in plastic!
- Choose cosmetics wisely – try switching to natural skin and hair products or even make your own! Don’t use fake tan and use natural sanitary products.
Two Detoxifying Rituals to Add to your Routine:
- Invest in a tongue scraper, found at most health stores/pharmacies. Scrape your tongue each morning after you wake up – it removes any coating, mucous and other debris that may have accumulated overnight.
- Invest in a dry body brush to increase blood circulation and lymphatic drainage Found at most health stores. Use a soft, natural bristled brush. Dry brush before your shower every morning. Use a light pressure as you brush. Starting at your feet, brush in small movements up towards your heart. When you are done, take a shower.
Are you ready for a happier, healthier you?
Now you’re equipped with the information you need to start cleansing. Will you be joining me? I’ll be posting tips, tricks and support throughout the two weeks on Facebook and Instagram – we’re all in this together. Use the hashtag #jshealthcleanse to show me your progress – I can wait to see how incredible you feel!
Good luck my loves! xo
- Spring/filtered water
- Herbal teas: Dandelion root, chamomile, lemon and ginger, green tea, rooibos chai tea (caffeine free version)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt – Himalayan/celtic sea salt
- Fresh ginger
- Peppercorns – ground pepper
- Fresh/dried herbs- parsley, mint, basil, rosemary
- Spices – turmeric, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, spice mix e.g.: Moroccan spice
- mix to season protein sources
- Organic and clean sources of protein chicken, eggs, wild caught fish
- Ground Flaxseed/LSA mix
- Pysllium husk
- Chia seeds
- Almond meal/coconut flour for baking/cooking
- Extra virgin coconut oil and olive oil
- Rolled oats (organic preferably) or gluten free oats
- Miso paste – to make your own miso soup or to use as a marinade
- Brassica – kale, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage
- Lettuce – of choice
- Dark leafy greens – spinach, silverbeet, kale
- Bitter greens – rocket/arugula, endives, radicchio and dandelion greens
- All berries, fresh or frozen
- Green apples (Granny Smith)
- Paw Paw / Papaya
Let’s do this together. Come follow me on Instagram @jshealth and comment or ask questions. We start next week. I am here supporting you through this!
To get the most out of your detox and for a full shopping list and meal plan, download my Restart Plan. Or you can find a bunch of my favourite detox-friendly recipes and more guidance to help you throughout your cleanse in my book, The Healthy Life.