Let the gap years begin!
Along with wholesome food, yoga and of course my JSHealth Community, travelling is one of my greatest loves. So as many of you set off around the world on your gap years or are planning your spring break and adventures for later in the year, I’m here to let you know that you don’t have to leave your healthy mindset at home on those longer journeys.
I want to share with you some of my tips so you never feel like you’re missing out on experiencing different cultures.
JSHealth’s Top 5 Gap Year and Travel Tips
- Get creative with how you move your body!There are so many walking tours available online now that you can easily download one and spend the day meandering through the streets of an unknown city. Most are at least free or far cheaper than an organised bus tour.
- Eat regularly and wisely Your body needs to be nourished every 2-3 hours (carrying snacks is a great idea) with a small amount of carbohydrates along with good quality fat and protein. Remember to chew your food, don’t inhale it!
- Spend 30 minutes a day alone.Write down your health goals and 10 things you are proud of from that week. Not only will it help you focus, it will be wonderful to reflect back on!
- Purchase a multi-vitamin
- Drink 2-3 liters of water a day
- Remember that moderation is key!Give yourself permission to enjoy a new delicacy or specialty in each country you visit. Permission to savour the homemade gelato on the pebble beaches of the Cinque Terre in Italy. Permission to indulge in a yummy Parisian croissant that simply melts away in your mouth.But remember that your body is worth SO more than eating junk food 24/7 just because you say ‘it’s my gap year!’. Health comes first, always.
- Find a local yoga studio
Visit a yoga place in each country – the best way to centre your mind and body amongst all the chaos of travel
- Inspire your friends with healthy choicesAt first they may judge you for being health conscious on a holiday but these days health is COOL! So inspire them with your healthy choices and find healthy treats along the way – visit local health cafes! If you’re craving a treat – enjoy some raw vegan came – most places have these nowadays
- Pack strategic seasonings to garnish your food e.g. Turmeric, cinnamon, stevia, nutritional yeast
When travelling between destinations find my airport travel tips here
Choosing healthy meals:
Not sure how to find healthy carbohydrates, fats and proteins when you’re eating around the world? Here are some ideas:
- Olive oil
- Nuts such as almonds, cashews, (great to keep as snacks throughout the day! Make sure they’re unsalted and not roasted)
- Chicken breast
- Ricotta, goats cheese
- Grilled fish
- Brown Rice
- Brown rice
- Sourdough, Rye or Gluten Free Bread
Favourite holiday health spots from the JSHealth Team:
- Café Figga in Split (Croatia) for amazing poached eggs for breakfast
- Chez Marianne – 2 Rue des Hospitalieres 75004 Paris – for a yummy spread of Turkish Tapas to share with your friends
- Woki Organic Market – Carrer Astúries, 22, 08012 Barcelona, Spain – incredible range of wholesome, organic food
- Bakers & Roasters – Eerste Jacob van Campenstraat 54, 1072 BH Amsterdam – for amazing brunch, fresh pressed juices, and a beautiful Bircher museli
- De Bolhoed – Prinsengracht 62, 1015 DX Amsterdam – for international-themed vegetarian dishes in a quirky canalside café
- Books & Brunch – Garenmarkt 30, 8000 Brugge, Belgium – for delicious vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and anything else you can think of breakfast and lunch options
- Ard Bia at Nimmos – Spanish Arch, Long Walk, Galway – a local, seasonal Irish twist on a variety of global dishes and brilliantly creative desserts
- Lula Café – 2537 N. Kedzie Blvd., Chicago – the best local, seasonal, organic, creative, etc. brunch in town!
- Sage – 3730 Las Vegas Blvd. South, Las Vegas – modern organic with a chic twist
- Aluette’s Café – Charleston, South Carolina – Oprah’s top pick for holistic soul food – local, organic, and truly made with love by Aluette herself
- Pure Food and Wine – 54 Irving Place, New York – worth the splurge for truly the best vegan meal in NYC
- Café Gratitude – 512 Rose Avenue, Venice, California – a vegan experience you will never forget!
- Gracias Madre – 8905 Melrose Avenue, West Hollywood, California – plant-based Mexican food? Healthy AND phenomenal.
#JSHealthyTravelSpots on instagram with your favourite places to eat around the world for your chance to be a part of something exciting…