It’s that time again! The silly season is almost upon us – and my readers in the US celebrating Thanksgiving are already in holiday mode! This is the time of year to eat, drink and be merry; you know I firmly believe in making room for these indulgences. That said, it’s also important to eat mindfully so that you feel your best!
Inevitably, there are times we overindulge and end up not feeling so great. And with the season in mind, I want to share my top tips to beat the bloat this holiday.
- The morning after a big meal, enjoy warm lemon water with the juice of 1/2 a lemon and some freshly grated ginger. It’s great every morning, but especially during the holidays!
- Take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar before each main meal to help aid digestion.
- Add 2-4 grams of glutamine to your smoothie at breakfast or snack.
- Enjoy chamomile or peppermint tea throughout the day. Herbal tea is a great way to hydrate and detox the body – and always be sure to drink plenty of filtered water.
- Prior to a big meal, take a digestive enzyme to get things started!
- Don’t drink too much just before, during or after a meal because it can interrupt digestion. Small sips are okay.
- Slow down and chew each bite at least 10-20 times.
- Really – slow down! Eating too fast causes gas and bloating, and also prevents you from recognizing when you feel satisfied.
- Taking a walk after a big meal is a great way to get your system moving.
- Chew on raw fennel. It sounds strange, but it works magic on bloating!
- Stretch! This is one of my favourites: put your legs up against the wall and focus on deep breathing for 10-15 minutes. This will calm the nervous system and aid digestion.