I believe indulgence is part of a healthy life. Personally, I take an 80/20 approach to my diet – balance is sustainable. Deprivation is not, and it only leads to a complicated and stressful relationship with food. Trust me, I know – I used to restrict and then binge because of it.
Now, I treat myself to a favourite indulgence once a week to ensure I never feel deprived. We must remember that one indulgent meal will not affect our weight. As Dr. Libby says, our bodies listen to what we do most of the time. But it’s also important to learn how to indulge with moderation in mind – we can enjoy these foods without overeating them.
Sometimes my treat is ice cream or red wine, but sometimes it’s a healthy! You’ll find that the more you eat real, wholefoods, your taste buds will change. For example, a raw cookie, bircher museli with Greek yoghurt or these DELISH peanut butter pancakes satisfy my craving for a sweet indulgence. Treating yourself can be decadent AND healthy!
That’s why I’m starting Treat Yourself Tuesday – I want to show you just how decadent healthy balance can be. Will you join me? Tag #JSHealthTreatYourself to celebrate living a life of balance! Give it a try with my new favourite pancake recipe:
- 1 serving Bare Blends vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 mashed banana
- 3 egg whites
- 2-3 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 cup ground LSA/flaxseed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- Pinch of Celtic sea salt
- Vanilla stevia drops or Natvia stevia powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Simply whisk all ingredients, then fry the batter in coconut oil pancake style!
- Top with 1 tbsp peanut butter – add a couple of drops of filtered water + honey/stevia to make a sweet peanut butter sauce.
- Garnish pancakes with the sauce + sliced bananas. Add a touch of Greek yoghurt, too, if you wish!