She is the beloved voice behind the ‘JSHealth’ brand and one of Australia’s most sought after health and wellness advocates, encouraging a balanced lifestyle filled with delicious and nourishing wholefoods and recipes. She believes we need to give up ‘diets’ to heal our relationship with food and advocates balance and moderation, mindfulness at meals and healthy body image. Jess is the author or two best-selling books, where she shares her health philosophy and favourite recipes, and the creator of the JSHealth Program, an 8-week online plan to quit diets forever, find a balanced weight and live the healthy life.
HOW I CAN HELP YOU
The reason why I’m so confident I can help you is because I helped myself. I struggled with my own body image for most of my teenage years and early 20s. Like many girls, I tortured myself to the point where food was the enemy and my body was a burden. My relationship with my body was turbulent: I was a carb restricting, fad-dieting, anxiety-ridden, scale-fearing, self-loathing, and self-doubting mess.
Then something clicked. I realised hating on my body was affecting everything in my life, so I committed myself to understanding what nutrition was all about. When I started to learn how the body actually works, my mentality shifted. I viewed food as a source of nourishment, not the enemy. I ate in a way that healed my body.
I’ve come a long way! I thought I was doing everything right, but as it turns out, my eating habits were far too restrictive. So extreme, in fact, they were unhealthy. My obsession with dieting and food clouded my ability to listen to what my body really needed.
Once I started listening to my body, it responded in the best way. It healed itself. I freed myself from the all-consuming obsession with food, and finally found balance. When you feed your body with goodness and love, it is so, so good to you in return. It’s the most empowering, amazing feeling.
What was I doing wrong?
- I drank too much alcohol and caffeine
- I poured artificial sweetener into everything
- I beat myself up whenever I indulged
- I ate low-fat products as well as processed foods and daily tins of tuna.
- I had a diet mentality. I was a fad dieter who never ate any fat, but couldn’t lose fat either
- I was stressed and anxious
- I wasn’t sleeping enough
- I was out of touch with my body – in fact, I hated on it
- I was a spray tan junkie
- I exercised twice a day – which didn’t do my stressed-out body any favours!
What did I change?
- I ditched processed foods and sugar for good
- I started eating beautiful wholefoods
- I learnt to love good fats
- I reduced my gluten intake to the point where I’m now 90% gluten free!
- I enjoyed caffeine and alcohol only occasionally
- I drank tons of water
- I loaded up on green veggies every day. Some might call it an addiction
- I healed my gut with probiotics
- I boosted my self-esteem and changed my relationship with my body and food
- I reduced the stressors in my life
- I cut out toxic scenes and people
- I slept more
- I threw out toxic products (like fake tan!) and made the switch to natural skin and household items
- I exercised less, but smarter
- I tuned into the mind-body connection
- I gave myself the chance to REST
The health and wellness world is fascinating, and I don’t think I’ll never stop learning. As for my current qualifications, I have a Bachelor of Health, specialising in Nutritional Medicine.