Gluten free, paleo and totally delicious! These breakfast muffins are my favourite snack for those days when I’m on the go – made with a whole lot of love, a hint of sweetness from seasonal apples and an awesome pecan crunch. Top with a dollop of almond butter or ricotta cheese to boost the protein and healthy fats and you’ve got the perfect healthy treat!
Makes: 12 small muffins or 6 large
- 3 cups almond meal
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp baking powder, gluten-free if needed
- Pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp sweetener of choice (raw honey. organic maple syrup, brown rice syrup or a few drops of stevia)
- 1 apple, chopped into small chunks
- 3/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar + 1/4 cup pecans, crumbled for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Combine almond meal, cinnamon and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and add melted coconut oil and honey.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and fold to combine.
- Fold in the chopped apple and 1/2 cup pecans.
- Divide into small paper-lined muffin tins.
- Top with remaining pecans and a sprinkle of coconut sugar (optional).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- If browning too quickly, cover with foil and continue to bake until cooked through.
- Walnuts or hazelnuts would also be lovely in this recipe.