I absolutely love whipping up this side dish inspired by the great Yotam Ottolenghi whenever I’m having people over for dinner! It’s one of my favourite recipes from the App – I love it so much I just had to share! It is packed with classic Middle Eastern flavours, not to mention seriously easy to make – and takes less than 30 minutes! The combination of baked eggplant with tahini, dukkah and pomegranate is a tastebud sensation!
Time to cook: 30 minutes
Serves: 4, as a side
- 3 eggplants, sliced into quarters
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
For the dressing
- 4 tbsp tahini dip or hulled tahini
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp ground harissa spice mix
- 2 tbsp filtered water
- ¼ cup (40g) pomegranate arils
- ½ bunch mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp dukkah spice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 350°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the eggplant quarters on the lined tray and drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil until well coated. Season generously with sea salt. Place in the oven to roast for 25-30 minutes.
- To make the dressing, combine the tahini, maple syrup, harissa and filter water in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Once the eggplant is golden and caramelised, transfer the quarters to a serving platter. Drizzle over the tahini dressing and top with the pomegranate arils, mint leaves and dukkah, if using.
You can find this recipe, along with over 450 more, in the App – give it a go for some food inspo today!