This is a healthy version of bircher muesli, which is super hard to find! Most birchers found in cafes are loaded with sugar and cream! This is a quick and easy recipe, perfect for all the busy bees on the go. You can make a big batch and refrigerate for up to a week.
My version is loaded with protein, fibre and good fats, which are the vital nutrients you need at breakfast time for blood sugar control.
Remove the yoghurt (or use coconut yoghurt!) if you are lactose intolerant.
Serves: Makes 3-4 servings
- 1 cup rolled oats (organic is best)
- 1 cup water/milk for soaking. Traditional soaking is in juice -not necessary!
- 1 grated green apple
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds/pumpkin seeds (or both)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup goji berries/dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Handful strawberries/berries
- 2-4 tbsp greek natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp raw honey/maple syrup/stevia (optional)
- Soak the oats for 6-8hrs or overnight in enough water/milk to cover the oats
- Mix the soaked oats and the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl – texture must be thick but smooth
- Top it with fresh mint, sprinkle of cinnamon and homemade granola. Add a serving of pea/whey protein for an extra protein hit!
- Refrigerate for up to a week