This is a healthy version of Bircher Muesli – hard to find! Most Birchers found in cafes are loaded with sugar and cream! This is a quick and easy recipe, perfect for all the busy bees on the go. You can make a big batch and refrigerate for up to a week. Time friendly recipe I say!
My version is loaded with protein, fibre and good fats- the vital nutrients at breakfast time for blood sugar control.
Remove the yoghurt (or use coconut yoghurt!) if you are lactose intolerant – the recipe will work fine.
Serves: Makes 3-4 servings
- 1 cup rolled oats (organic is best)
- 1 cup water/milk for soaking. Traditional soaking is in juice -not necessary!
- 1 grated green apple
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds/pumpkin seeds (or both)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup goji berries/dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Handful strawberries/berries
- 2 tbsp greek natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp raw honey/maple syrup/stevia (optional)
- Soak the oats for 6-8hrs or over night in enough water/milk to cover the oats
- Mix the soaked oats and the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl – texture must be thick but smooth
- Top it with fresh mint, sprinkle of cinnamon and homemade granola. Add a serving of pea/whey protein for an extra protein hit!
- Refrigerate for up to a week