Chocolate and Valentine’s Day go together like hugs and kisses. If you come to my blog often, you already know that I am a firm believer in the benefits of raw chocolate, or cacao, as part of a healthy, balanced diet.
Cacao, the raw bean used to make chocolate, is a nutrient powerhouse. It is high in antioxidants and provides minerals such as iron, zinc, copper, and magnesium. Cacao elevates the mood and decreases depression by stimulating the release of neurotransmitters, or brain chemicals, that support feelings euphoria, bliss, excitement, alertness, and love. The combination of emotional effects has given cacao legendary status as an aphrodisiac. And for good reason! Could there be a better food for lovers?
I’ve whipped up the perfect way for you to savor the sweetness of Valentine’s Day – with a superfood boost.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- Allow cashews and almonds to soak several hours, or overnight.
- Soak dates, then fork into a paste.
- Combine cashews and almonds in food processor, then add date paste, cacao powder, melted coconut oil and goji berries.
- Line an small baking dish with parchment paper and transfer the blended mix into the dish, flattening to distribute.
- Place in the refrigerator for an hour or overnight, then use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to create deceptively delicious sweets for you and your sweet!
- Will keep about one week if refrigerated.