I recently had chef-to-the-stars Kate McAloon drop into the office to cook some lunch with me! Together we made her famous coleslaw, a recipe that has graced the tables of stars like Gwyneth Paltrow, Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson and Orlando Bloom! She was super happy to share the recipe with you all too…
This coleslaw is packed full of nutritious veggies. The dressing is light and full of flavour and the coleslaw was the perfect side dish at Courteney Cox’s Sunday gatherings. You do not have to use all the veggies listed in the recipe and I’ve suggested amounts/weights as a guideline only. Use your favourite combinations and come up with you own super-duper signature coleslaw. You can grate or julienne the veggies and cut the cabbage a fine as you like.
Note — I usually make the salad a few hours in advance so the flavours can mingle. If you have any leftovers it’s great to add to wraps and sandwiches, or serve it with some cooked chicken or seafood for a healthy lunch or dinner choice.
Tip — Try adding finely chopped red bell pepper (capsicum), a little ginger, sesame seeds and a touch of roasted sesame oil to the recipe for variety. The dressing gives a great tangy flavour to this dish and you can also use it for other salads or on steamed veggies and fish.
Kate McAloon’s Coleslaw with Coconut Citrus Dressing
- 2 cups (200g) finely shredded green and/or purple cabbage
- 1 cup (100g) peeled and grated carrot
- ½ cup (50g) grated zucchini
- ½ cup (50g) peeled and grated broccoli stems
- 1 apple (1cup/200g) grated
- 1 medium spring (green) onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley or cilantro (coriander)
- ¼ cup (40g) each sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds (optional)
Coconut Citrus Dressing
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup fresh orange or tangerine juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 tsp maple syrup or honey (to taste)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos (optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 1–2 drops Young Living lemon, lime, orange, tangerine and/or lemongrass oil
- Mix all the salad dressing ingredients together in a small bowl or blender and set aside or chill until needed.
- Place all veggies, herbs and seeds in a large mixing bowl. Pour dressing over and gently mix to combine. Check for seasoning and add more salt, pepper and citrus juice if desired. Serve immediately or chill for a couple of hours to let the flavours combine, or for up to 2 days.
Pssssst. You can now pay week-by-week for the JSHealth Program – only $18.63 a week! – click here