Simple. Fresh. Easy. That’s how we do salads at JSHealth. I made this salad for a family dinner a few weeks ago and it was an absolute hit! Had to remake it for the blog. Pepitas are one of the best sources of zinc – a nutrient essential to the immune response and healthy skin and nails! Plus this salad is full of good-for-you satiating fats and lots of fibre – yay!
Crunchy Roast Carrot & Avocado Salad with Pepitas
Serves: 4, as a side
- 5-6 carrots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 avocado
- 2 big handfuls of mixed salad leaves
- Sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 180°.
- Chop carrots into thin rounds and arrange on baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season generously with sea salt.
- Add carrots to the oven and roast for 30 minutes, then remove from oven. Add pepitas and return to oven for a further 15 minutes, until golden.
- To make the dressing, combine olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup and mustard and whisk until smooth.
- Slice red onion thinly and set aside. Remove stone and skin from avocado and slice.
- Arrange salad greens on a serving platter and scatter red onion and avocado slices. Spread roasted carrots over salad.
- Top with roasted pepitas and drizzle over dressing. Serve.