Angels, this is one of my favourite recipes from my third book, The 12-Step Mind-Body-Food Reset. It’s one of more than 50 recipes in the book, which focusses on teaching you how to shut off the noise of fad dieting, and reconnect with your body in a simple, achievable and sustainable way! Enjoy angels!
Time to cook: 70 minutes
- 2 large eggplants (about 1.25 kg), halved lengthways, cut sides scored
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- large handful of basil leaves
- 1 x 400 g tin black or brown lentils, drained and rinsed well
- 723 g jar sugar-free Napoletana sauce
- 200 g fresh ricotta
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Place the eggplant, cut sides facing up, in a large baking dish so that they are sitting flat, side by side. Drizzle the tops with half the oil and season well with salt and pepper. Bake for 40–45 minutes, or until softened and golden.
- Sprinkle three-quarters of the basil leaves over the cooked eggplant, then top with the lentils and sauce.
- Crumble the ricotta evenly over the top, then season well with salt and pepper and drizzle with the remaining oil. Place the dish back in the oven and bake for 20–25 minutes, or until the parmigiana is bubbling and This is a great one to make and enjoy leftovers from, so either serve sprinkled with the remaining basil, or allow to cool completely before storing in the fridge. You can either reheat portions throughout the week, as needed, or reheat the whole batch in the oven for a meal to share. This will keep for up to 3 days (see note).
Note: This recipe also freezes really well for up to 2 months. Just cool completely before storing each portion in separate airtight containers.