This is a JSHealth favourite and one of the easiest dishes I’ve ever made. 5-ingredient nourishing healthy eggplant parmigiana. Just eggplant, Napoletana sauce, ricotta (or lentils for a non-dairy, vegan version) and basil. Serve with your protein of choice or a fresh green salad. Divine!
Healthy Eggplant Parmigiana
Serves: 4, as a side
- 2–3 medium eggplants
- 250g Napoletana sauce (organic and sugar-free, if possible)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 360°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice the eggplants into medium-thickness rounds. Place half of the eggplant slices on to the prepared baking dish then spoon over half the Napoletana sauce, ricotta and basil. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, a sprinkle of sea salt and some chilli.
- Repeat the process with the remaining eggplant and stack them so you have 2 layers.
- Bake in oven for 45–60 mins, until ricotta is golden and eggplant cooked. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
For a plant-based version, replace the ricotta cheese with cooked lentils or cashew cheese.