Fibre = the most underrated macronutrient!
Fibre is super important. However, it seems like people are just not getting enough – Maybe they’re not eating enough greens, wholefoods and healthy grains or it could be because they follow a low carbohydrate diet.
We know that fibre is in charge of keeping the digestive system moving and ensuring optimum gut health (a happy gut = a happy brain too!). Yet, we often forget that fibre is actually essential for those who are wanting to lose weight. Fibre works to enhance long-term weight loss as it helps with satiation i.e. it helps us feel full and satisfied post-meal.
Fibre is also fabulous for:
- stabilising blood sugars
- keeping the bowels regular and healthy
- lowering cholesterol
- decreasing the risk of colon cancer
- cleansing the body from excess hormones
- helping to feed the good bugs in our gut. Fibre = a prebiotic!
Some great fibre rich foods include:
- wholegrains (e.g. rolled oats, quinoa, brown rice)
- beans and legumes
- dark leafy greens
- fruit (berries, kiwifruit, banana, apples, pear, avocado)
- starchy veg (sweet potato, beetroot, pumpkin, carrots)
- nuts and seeds (chia seeds, flaxseeds)
- psyllium husk
If these foods are new to you, start slowly and make sure to increase the amount of water you drink too!
You can find more articles containing simple lifestyle and nutrition tips in the JSHealth App, along with access to our unique in-app messaging system where you can text a Nutritionist in the JSHealth Clinic. You can download the app on iTunes for less than $3 a week and we also offer a free 7-day trial.