When the JSHealth team stumbled upon a Tastemade video for ‘Matzo Crack’ we couldn’t help but brainstorm how we could make a healthy version to celebrate Pesach! Their salted caramel sauce? A handful of dates blended into a creamy date caramel should work. Milk chocolate chips? Easy – some sugar-free raw or dark chocolate would do the trick. Sprinkle a few nuts and some good quality sea salt flakes… Voila!
Make this for your family and friends this Pesach – guaranteed to be the best tasting matzo you’ve ever tried!
Healthy Chocolate & Caramel Matzo Slice
- 2 slices of Matzo
- 1 cup of fresh dates, soaked for 10 minutes in hot water, then drained
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup good-quality dark or raw chocolate, broken into chunks
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp sea salt flakes
- Add soaked dates and a pinch of sea salt to a food processor and pulse until dates become chopped. Then, process and gradually add hot water until date are blended into caramel-like consistency.
- Meanwhile, slowly melt dark or raw chocolate in a microwave or in a stove – careful not to burn the chocolate and stirring often.
- Arrange two slices of matzo on a tray. Spread the date caramel evenly over both slices. Then spread melted chocolate over the caramel. Top with chopped walnuts and sprinkle sea salt flakes generously.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until set.
- Break into large chunks and serve.
This matzo will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Want more delicious and healthy recipes? My second book, Living the Healthy Life, has over 160 meal ideas – you can find it here!