Growing up, coconut rough was one of my favourite treats. I loved the crunchy, chewy texture of the coconut and the smooth chocolate that coated it. I wanted to re-create a nutritious alternative that captures the traditional flavour. This version is rich in healthy fats and natural sweetness, without any of the added nasties. Plus, coconut is rich in iron, copper, fibre and healthy fats, which help to stabilise blood sugar levels, regulate metabolic function and aid skin health. Talk about a snack that’s packed with nutritional benefits.
Makes: 10 pieces
- 5-6 medjool dates, pitted
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup raw cacao
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- goji berries, to garnish
- dried rose petals, to garnish
- In a food processor, add the dates, melted coconut oil, raw cacao, cinnamon and sea salt. Blitz until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the desiccated coconut and shredded coconut. Pour over cacao mixture and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into a lined baking dish. Top with a sprinkle of goji berries and a few dried rose petals (if using). Place in the freezer for 30 minutes, or until set.
- Remove from freezer and slice into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for 2 weeks.
For more nutritious, delicious and wholesome snacks and treats, check out my 8-week Program.