I grew up in South Africa where creamed spinach is a traditional favourite. I personally adore the taste and texture. It pairs so well with many proteins. Here is my latest healthy version. I think you guys will love how easy this one is!
Healthy Creamed Spinach
- 180g spinach leaves – this was about 2 large packets of spinach from the supermarket
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 heaped tbsp ricotta cheese OR 2 tbsp coconut cream for a vegan alternative
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- Handful cashew nuts, crushed
- sea salt, chilli flakes, to your liking
- Nutritional yeast, for sprinkling (optional)
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium sized frying pan with 1 tbsp oil then add diced onion and sauté up until the onion starts to brown.
- Add spinach leaves in the pan and season with salt, curry powder and optional chilli and then drizzle with more olive oil.
- Keep sautéing spinach until it begins to wilt then add 1 tbsp ricotta cheese (or vegan alternative) and mix through, ensure the cheese covers all the spinach.
- Plate up. Sprinkle over nutritional yeast, crushed cashew nuts and extra chilli!