Healthy eating doesn’t have to mean deprivation or missing out on some of life’s sweetest foods! In fact, it’s super easy to create healthy versions of foods typically deemed an indulgence – like this Healthy French Toast which is sugar-free, dairy-free and totally vegan! Start with the best quality, wholegrain bread you can find – I love an organic spelt or rye loaf – and finish it off with fresh fruit and a drizzle of maple syrup if you like. Treating yourself can be decadent and healthy!! Enjoy xo
Healthy French Toast
- 3-4 slices of good quality wholegrain or gluten-free bread
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (ground into a fine meal if you want them undetectable)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, for frying
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Fresh berries, banana (optional)
- Chopped nuts, seeds or cacao nibs
- Combine all ingredients except the bread and maple syrup in a large, shallow bowl. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes for the chia seeds to activate for 10 minutes.
- Dip each slice of bread in the batter for about 30 seconds each side.
- Add coconut oil to a pan on medium-high heat until melted. Place each slice of bread in the pan and cook, until golden brown on the underside. Flip and cook the other side until brown as well – 3-4 minutes.
- Divide onto two plates and top with fresh fruit, maple syrup and any other additional toppings – get creative!