With just a few simple ingredients you can turn the not-so-healthy traditional fried rice into a superfood-filled complete meal. Two new studies just reported that including more wholegrains into your diet, like brown rice, can considerably lower your risk of heart disease, cancer and type 2 diabetes! Not to mention, kale and garlic are super high in Vitamin-C – helping to keep those pesky Winter colds away. Add an egg for extra protein or top with some organic grilled chicken or salmon – yum!
Healthy Fried Rice
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cups kale, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp sesame/coconut oil
- 1-2 organic, free range eggs (optional)
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Sesame seeds and chopped spring onion, to top
- Cook the brown rice according to instructions, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions, stirring until soft and translucent (4-5 minutes). Add garlic and sauté for a further 2-3 minutes. Add the kale and stir until wilted.
- Add the rice and cook for another two minutes, stirring.
- At this stage, you may choose to add 1-2 organic eggs. If so, crack two eggs into a separate bowl and whisk slightly. Then add to hot saucepan with rice, stirring the egg through the mixture until completely cooked.
- Add the tamari and cook for another minute. Divide into two bowls, top with sesame seeds, spring onion and chilli flakes and serve.
- Pre-cooked rice can be found in most supermarkets and makes for an even quicker meal!
You can find this style of plate from GT Homewares.