I just came back from a 3 week trip to the USA and Mexico and wanted to share a few of my favourite healthy spots with you.
- Juice Generation – delicious smoothies and acai bowls
- Organic Avenue – tonics and juices
- The Butcher’s Daughter – divine kale salad and kale chips
- Hu Kitchen
- Whole Foods
- Pure Food and Wine
- LifeThyme – health food store
- Juice Press – amazing almond smoothie
- Cafe Gratitude
- M Café
- Earth Café – smoothies
- Soul Cycle – most invigorating cycle class you will ever do!
- Equinox – fabulous gym classes
- Whole Foods
- Jimbo’s Naturally – health food store
- Urban Plates – delicious salads
Mexico – Cabo
- The One and Only Hotel – amazing quinoa salad, fish ceviche and grilled octopus salad
- The Office – delicious grilled prawns and fish tacos
Mexico – Tulum
- Maya Tulum – healthy food, green juices and great yoga classes
- Be Tulum – delicious spinach and goats cheese salad with seeds
- Las Ranitas Hotel – the best homemade guacamole
- Yoga Shala- for daily yoga classes
Here are a few health tips that I stuck by on my travels:
- 2L filtered water daily
- I started each day with lemon water and some fresh fruit on an empty stomach
- I took a probiotic morning and night keep the good bacteria my system
- I avoided caffeine as I wanted my body to truly rest – caffeine promotes adrenaline, which can create a stress response in the body. My sleep was amazing! Good to take a break from caffeine if you are a daily caffeine consumer.
- Breakfast in hotels would be a nut, seed and fruit bowl or an omelet with veggies and fresh herbs. When bread options were presented: I would choose the rye bread option.
- I snacked on raw nuts and seeds in the afternoon + herbal tea
- When ordering cocktails I always requested to the waiter to please not add any sugar. I stuck to gin or vodka based cocktails with fresh lime and soda. And I love a good glass or two of red wine. Remember this is on special occasions.
- I avoided starchy foods at night – I asked for extra vegetable instead.
- I always chose to enjoy a large salad at each meal
- I avoided the bread baskets at restaurants
- Lay in the sun for 20-30 minutes daily for Vitamin D
- I did 20 deep belly breathes on the plane every few hours
- I loaded up on Vitamin C when I felt the sniffles were coming on. I took 3-4g/day to keep my immune system strong.
- Digestive enzymes with each meal to aid digestion
- Yoga and stretching every morning