Making your own almond mylk at home is incredibly easy and also cost effective. Store bought almond mylk often contains added sugars or preservatives whereas our homemade almond mylk is sugar free.
Homemade Almond Mylk
Makes: 1 Litre
- 1 cup raw almonds, soaked in filtered water overnight
- 4 cups filtered water
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 nut mylk bag or muslin cloth (we used a new clean blue kitchen cloth)
- Drain and rinse the almonds in a large sieve or colander.
- Combine the almonds, filtered water and vanilla in a high powered blender and blitz for a few minutes until smooth.
- Place the nut mylk bag or cloth on top of a fine-mesh strainer or colander. Then place the lined strainer on top of a large measuring cup or bowl. Pour the almond mixture into the lined strainer.
- Gather the sides of the nut bag or cloth and twist close. Using clean hands, squeeze and press out as much mylk as possible.
- Pour the fresh almond mylk into a glass jar and keep stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Inside the nut bag or cloth you will find the leftover almond pulp. You can use this to make your own almond meal. Simply spread it across a lined baking tray and bake in a very low temperature oven until the almond meal has dried out.
Leftover almond meal can be used to make muffins, banana bread or cookies. Keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
You can also change up the flavours, try these variations below. Simply add in your extra ingredients before blending in the blender (see step 2 of the method).
To make salted caramel almond mylk:
- 4 medjool dates, pitted
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
To make chocolate almond mylk:
- 2-3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup (optional)
To make goji berry almond mylk:
- 2-3 tbsp goji berries
You can find more delicious recipe ideas in the JSHealth App, along with access to our unique in-app messaging system where you can text a Nutritionist in the JSHealth Clinic. You can download the app on iTunes, for the month of January, new users receive 50% off a yearly subscription or 50% off their first month!