These are a hit!
I harp on about the importance of protein in our diets and although I prefer my protein to come from natural sources; such as eggs, chicken, fish, nuts and seeds, legumes etc. I also love the taste and texture of protein bars. However it is very hard to find a protein bar that is WITHOUT added junk such as artificial sweeteners!
That’s why I decided to make my very own banana nut protein bars.
The perfect mid morning or mid afternoon pick-me-up snack. Also perfect for an on-the-go breakfast as it is packed with all our macro-nutrients.
Makes: 8-10 bars
- 1 cup LSA (linseed, sunflower, almond meal)
- 2 scoops vanilla whey/rice/pea protein
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter/almond butter
- 1 ripe banana – mashed
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- Dark chocolate, melted – to drizzle (optional, but recommended)
- Mix all ingredients in a blender/food processor.
- In an 8×8 spray pan dish pour mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes at 180°C.
- Once it’s done, let it cool and top them with almond butter/raw almonds or drizzle with melted dark choc for some extra indulgence!
- Cut into small square pieces/blocks.
- Enjoy! And be excited that you can make a healthy version of protein bars!