When people say you should eat the rainbow – I think this is what they mean! Eating a wide variety of wholefoods is one way to ensure your diet is full of the nutrients and minerals your body needs to thrive! I love this Mexican Bowl with crunchy corn, wholegrain (GI-stabilising) quinoa, fresh salsa and guacamole (of course!). Enjoy for a light lunch or dinner tonight!
JSHealth Mexican Bowl
- 1 can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ear of corn
- 1/2 cup of quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 green capsicum, diced
- 2-3 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- handful of parsley, to serve
- 1 tsp of black sesame seeds & pepitas, to serve
- Place a medium sized pot of water on the stove. Once the water reaches boiling, carefully place the corn in the water to cook.
- In a separate pot, place the rinsed quinoa and cover with water, leave to simmer uncovered until quinoa is cooked and water has evaporated (about 12-15 minutes). When ready mix through the turmeric powder and a sprinkle of salt.
- When corn is cooked, drain and leave to cool slightly before using a sharp knife to remove the kernels from the stalk.
- Gently heat up the black beans on medium heat in a frying pan.
- Placed the diced tomatoes, capsicum and red onion together in a bowl and squeeze 1/2 the lime over and mix through.
- Halve the avocado, remove pip and slice thinly.
- In two bowls place the quinoa, corn, black beans and tomato mix. Lay avocado on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds, pepitas and fresh parsley to serve. Squeeze remaining lime over bowl for extra flavour!
For more delicious and healthy recipes, check out my 8-week online Program at www.theprogram.jessicasepel.com