This is the ultimate winter comfort meal – hearty without the heavy feeling afterwards! Full of good-for-you veggies and lentils, which are particularly rich in dietary fibre, folate, iron and are the perfect meat-free protein source. This dish is so easy to whip up and enjoy – great for dinner parties with any vegetarian friends! Enjoy sprinkled with some Parmesan cheese if you wish.
Lentil Ragu with Zucchini Noodles
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 250g good-quality tomato pasta sauce or organic tomato passata
- 1x 400g tin of organic cooked lentils, drained and rinsed
- 4 small zucchinis
- 1-2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-heat and add the olive oil.
- Add red onion and garlic to the pan and cook until translucent and softened.
- Add the finely diced carrot and continue to cook until soft.
- Add drained lentils and tomato sauce/passata to the pan and stir until combined. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until ragu is fragrant, adding more liquid (sauce or hot water) if it seems too dry. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cut the ends of the zucchini and create the zucchini noodles using a spiralizer. If you don’t have a spiralizer, cut them finely using a knife or push the zucchini along the top of a grater, in long strokes in order to create long, thin ribbons of zucchini.
- Add zucchini noodles to the simmering ragu and cook for a further 5 minutes, until softened.
- Serve into two bowls and top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- This recipe also works well with organic minced meat (beef, chicken or turkey). Just substitute meat for the lentils and ensure the meat is well cooked before adding the sauce/passata and simmering.
- A wholegrain or gluten-free pasta variety may also be used instead of zucchini.