Say goodbye to soggy, tasteless Brussels sprouts and hello to your new favourite side dish – simple, delicious and full of goodness! Sprouts are one of my favourite veggies; so high in Vitamin C, folate, antioxidants and fibre! With a touch of sweetness from maple syrup, these Brussels make the perfect accompaniment to any meal. I love pairing it with a simply grilled protein and green salad – the flavours here speak for themselves!
Serves: 4, as a side
- 20 Brussels sprouts
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 5-6 mint leaves (optional)
- 2 tbsp goat’s cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Chop the ends off the sprouts and cut in half.
- In a large bowl, add Brussels sprouts, olive oil and maple syrup and toss until sprouts are evenly covered.
- On a lined baking tray, arrange Brussels sprouts and season generously with sea salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes, until cooked and crispy.
- Meanwhile, add the flaked almonds to a small non-stick pan on low heat and toast, stirring often, until golden.
- Arrange roasted Brussels sprouts on a board and sprinkle with flaked almonds. Top with crumbled goat’s cheese, pomegranate seeds and mint leaves.
- To easily remove pomegranate seeds from the fruit; roll the fruit first to loosen the seeds, cut it in half and then hold each half over a bowl, seeds facing down, and tap the skin with a wooden spoon, squeezing a little to release the seeds, until all seeds have been removed.