Meatless Monday has made a comeback in my kitchen. While I tend to be conservative with meat and primarily enjoy fish as a non-plant based source of protein, I make an extra effort to honor Meatless Monday.
To kick start your Meatless Monday menu, try a new favorite recipe of mine. Rich purple eggplants are a true brain food – rich in phytonutrients, which have been shown to protect cells from damage and free radicals. If you’re starting my cleanse – and I truly hope you will give it a go to see how amazing you can feel – this is the perfect dinner option any night of the week.
- 4 small eggplants
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or olive oil spray
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 2 purple onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- Small bunch parsley, chopped
- Himalayan sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F.
- Slice 4 small eggplants lengthwise, then in half (do not cut all the way through). Salt eggplant generously and leave to sweat for 30 minutes.
- Wash and pat dry, then scoop out the flesh of the sliced eggplant and set aside.
- Drizzle or spray eggplant cups with olive oil and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Chop 2 purple onions and 2 tomatoes.
- Heat a small pan with coconut oil and saute onion and tomato. Add diced eggplants and saute until cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Remove eggplant cups from oven and fill with sauteed vegetable mix. Return to the oven and bake 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.