Vegetarian Frittatas: For A Vegetarian Breakfast or Brunch
Am I the only one who swears by breakfast? Truly, I enjoy breakfast style meals for lunch, dinner – any time of day. One of my go-to meals when I’m craving breakfast or simply want a quick, nutritious meal that covers all the bases is a frittata. This recipe, featured in The Clean Life, is a delicious vegetarian egg dish that is perfect for brunch.
- 1 white onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 250 g button mushrooms, trimmed
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 zucchinis, sliced
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp virgin organic coconut oil, plus extra for greasing the dish
- 6 eggs, free-range and organic
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- Himalayan sea salt and ground pepper, to season
- 50 g parmesan (optional)
- Preheat oven to the grill element.
- In a large fry pan, sauté the onions and garlic in melted coconut oil with a little salt over medium heat until soft. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sliced tomatoes, mushrooms and zucchini, and continue to sauté until vegetables are just slightly undercooked. This will take another 3 minutes.
- In separate bowl, whisk the eggs, ricotta, parmesan cheese and seasoning.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the egg mixture and parsley, stirring briefly till combined.
- When the eggs start to firm, place the fry pan under the grill for 2-3 minutes or until the frittata is just set and golden brown.
- Take it out of the oven and serve warm with a side salad.