I love the spice and vibrant flavours of Moroccan cooking. Make your own exotic meals at home with this simple, healthy and fibre-packed dinner that we’re sharing from the JSHealth App.
Moroccan Eggplant, Zucchini & Lentils
Serves: 2 as a main, or 4 as a side
- 3 small eggplants
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 bunches of vine tomatoes or a punnet of cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- sea salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 cucumber, diced
- chopped parsley, to serve
- chopped almonds to serve (optional)
For the dressing
- 1–2 tsp cumin
- 4 tbsp Greek yoghurt (can use coconut yoghurt for vegan version!)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 360°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice the eggplants and zucchinis lengthways and place them on the baking tray. Add the tomatoes to the tray. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and a sprinkle of cumin.
- Place in oven for 20–25 minutes, or until the veggies are soft and have started to brown.
- Remove the tray from the oven and place the lentils over the veggies. Drizzle with a touch more olive oil, then place back in over for a further 10 minutes or until the eggplants are golden and zucchinis are soft.
- To make the dressing, mix the cumin and yoghurt until they’re well combined.
- Remove tray from the oven and serve the dish topped with the yoghurt dressing, diced cucumber and fresh parsley. The chopped almonds are a great way of adding extra texture and nutrients.
You can add 100-150g of your favourite animal protein to this recipe or choose one of the following options:
- ½ cup chickpeas or beans (or a mix)
- 3 tbsp of goat’s cheese or ricotta (for vegetarians) or cashew cheese (for vegans)
- 100 g of tempeh or tofu (1–2 times a week)
- For a plant-based option, swap the Greek yoghurt for coconut yoghurt or a dairy-free alternative.