My Healthy Week at Ubud Health Retreat, Bali
As most of you my dear followers know I just came back from a beautiful week in Bali. The purpose of my trip to Bali was to find a location for my future health retreats (and it was most definitely a holiday too!!).
I have come home totally health inspired. I have so many new thoughts and topics of health I want to write about and share with you. I need to go slowly though otherwise I will completely overwhelm both you and myself!
The traditional ways of the Balinese people- the way they eat, cook and live is so unique and something we can all learn from. It always fascinating to me when I see these beautiful people immersed in their traditional cultural setting and just how well these eastern communities age. The elderly hardly have a wrinkle! Their faces are sparkling with health and happiness. There must be a reason for this. Maybe its all the organic foods they consume and grow themselves. Maybes it’s because they are not exposed to the harsh chemicals of urban living and instead they are living amongst greenery. Maybe it is because they are so happy with the simple things in life and don’t have the same social pressures and stressors we do. Or maybe it’s because they follow the ways of their ancestors and eat how they have eaten for thousands of years (they eat for their digestive makeup). Who knows! But it is definitely interesting for me to learn from these Eastern cultures and try to implement some of their ways into our own lives.
I travelled to 4 different Health Retreats with my health mentor Layla. You will all meet her soon!
I will share with you the highlights of each place.
First: Desa Senni
An Eco Village just outside of the main town of Seminyak (15 minute drive). This place brought me to tears. Most of the premise is an organic veggies patch! It is a yoga and health inspired resort. If you love your yoga- this is the place! This is hopefully where I will be holding my retreats.
My days there looked a little like this:
8:30- Vinyasa Yoga (there is yoga for all levels at different times)
9:30 Organic veggies juices/tonics/smoothies and fruit for breakfast
11-1- Reading by the pool (health reading !!)
1- Organic lunch at their amazing health café
3pm- Spa treatment
6pm- Dance Yoga/Chanting
7pm- Lite organic Dinner
8:30pm- Bed time
- The yoga and the experienced and spiritual yoga instructors
- The organic veggie patches
- Watching the beautiful Balinese staff pick the fruit and veggies in the morning to make my meals!!
- The Food at the café- loved the zucchini pasta, smoothies and tonics
- Loved the rustic Balinese style rooms
- Beautiful staff
Second: Ubud Sari
Located in the heart of UBUD town. A secluded and rustic detox center. Most people there are on a juice fast. Oh no, not me. I love my food too much! I believe we can cleanse efficiently with food!
- My room was on the river- simple but beautiful.
- Yoga in the mornings amongst the forrest
- I absolutely loved their raw café! Their juices, smoothies, raw pastas are fab!
- I experienced a 4-hour ‘Boreh Treatment’ that consisted of a traditional Balinese style massage, a scrub, a bath and a hair treatment- heavenly.
This is where we managed to visit some of the best health spots in UBUD! These places are a must visit if you are health crazy!
Yoga Barn- I went here each morning for a yoga session. The best yoga teachers from all over the world come to teach yoga here. The café at Yoga Barn has fabulous healthy – called Kafe. Have an Ayurvedic consult with Uma while you are over there!!
Healthy Cafes to visit in UBUD:
- Soma- A small and vibey health café run by the loveliest man, John. You have to try their Ojas booster warming drink, the rice pudding, pumpkin pancakes and mushroom pattie. Heavenly!!! Say Hello to John from me!
- Clear- Great little health hot spot. They have a large menu with both raw and cooked foods. Loved their Kale and Cashew salad and their vegan Brownie!
- Alchemy – Best wholesome salad, juices and raw treats in Bali.
- Bali Budda – Great Veggie Lasagna. Great menu!
- Kafe (in Yoga Barn)- loved their egg scramble and antioxidant smoothie.
- Sari organic- a 20 minute walk through the rice paddies until you reach the serenity of this café that overlooks all of the rice paddies. A beautiful Balinese women runs this café and all the produce is from her organic veggie garden that she grows herself. She is glowing with health.
A luxury boutique style hotel that only has 9 rooms. This is a 30 minutes drive from the main part of Ubud. It is very secluded. Do not stay here if you wish to be apart of the Ubud town scene. However you could go to the town for dinner and come back to stay.
- The beautiful room on the river that included the most romantic outdoor spa bath.
- Their detox bath and massage treatment was the best I had in Bali. Their spa products are totally natural and chemical free. They use whole foods as body treatments.
- Very private if you looking for absolute peace and quite
- Their raw and vegetarian restaurant. The best raw food you will ever eat. The highlight is the Raw Food Chef, Maddy- He has been trained in America and his food is the best I ate in all of Bali, no exaggeration. I recommend the: Kale slaw, stuffed zucchini flowers, pasta alfredo (cashew dressing), raw lasagna, warm eggplant dish and the raw banana bread for breakfast.
Fourth: Como Shambala
Probably the most luxurious resort in all of Bali. It is very expensive though- be warned. It is located 40 minutes away from the main town of UBUD on the river.
It is a beautiful and large resort that follows a healthy living philosophy in all that they do and offer. It has both a ‘health’ focused restaurant, Glow and a traditional Balinese restaurant for those not interested in the health aspect.
- The property itself is breathtaking.
- The rooms are absolutely stunning and romantic- you get your own Butler, swimming pool and living area.
- The healthy menu is large and caters to all needs- it is now just raw, vegan, or vegetarian. You can choose to have cooked foods, raw foods meats, fish and they can also put you on their cleanse program or juicing program. Whatever you wish. They will do as you please.
- The food is incredibly healthy and gourmet style.
- I loved the breakfasts the most- the avocado on toast and the pumpkin pancakes were do delicious.
- The greatest highlight is their natural rock pools located down by the river. You are able to request a healthy picnic which gets brought to the pools. You spend the day amongst nature, eating wholesome foods and resting on their beautiful day beds by the pools.
- I would recommend this resort to people who are middle aged and can afford it.
Come with me to experience the above and more…
As mentioned above, the purpose of this trip was to find a location for my future Health Retreats. My plan is to take the best from what I experienced from the above and create my own program that will run for 5-7 days with my business partner. A Detox, Health, Cleansing and Yoga Retreat that is created for women who desire to reconnect with their bodies, take a break from the busy nature of their lives and learn how to better their health with the guidance of nutritional practitioners.
My tentative dates for my first ever retreat is Feb 2014 or April 2014.
Who is coming?? I would so appreciate your comments below!! I know there will be limited spaces so whoever is able to commit first will be able to reserve a place. I cannot wait to meet you!