Your skin is really an expression of what is happening on the inside!
My top tips:
1. HYDRATE– aim for 2-3 liters of water a day and a coconut water post training/exercise.
2. EAT CLEAN
- Learn to eat through the rainbow! Enjoy colourful foods, especially your greens!
- Choose organic where possible to reduce pesticide exposure that can create toxic build up
- Drink hot water with lemon every morning to cleanse your insides
- FEED YOUR SKIN THE GOOD FATS- OMEGA 3’s! Fabulous for anti-inflammatory and hormonal balancing. Examples include: fish, eggs, flaxseeds, chia seeds, avocado, walnuts, almonds. I add 1 tbsp. of chia/flaxseeds into my daily smoothie/yoghurt/oatmeal.
- Eat enzyme-rich foods such as sprouts and raw foods.
- Avoid excess caffeine
- Eat foods with antioxidants. Antioxidants are the best resources your body has to fight disease and aging by reducing damage and inflammation. Inflammation is a leading cause of wrinkle formation. Some of the best sources of antioxidants include:
- Acai berries
- Goji berries
- Purple grapes
- Dark chocolate (70% or higher of cocoa content)
- Organic green tea
LESS OF: Because they are INFLAMMATORY, DEHYDRATORS and create toxic build up! Nasty!
Cut out all processed and packaged foods!
I would suggest those really struggling with their skin, especially with eczema- to completely cut dairy and gluten for a 1-2 week trial period. See how you go and report back!
3. STRESS LESS – stress causes all kinds of hormonal havoc. The best way to rebalance our hormones is to actually BREATHE and create a calm environment. Do yoga!! Slow down! Practice deep breathing daily!
4. SUPPLEMENT with zinc, fish oil, primrose oil, vitamin C and E. With guidance from a nutritionist!
5. CLEAN OUT YOUR GUT
- Colonic- if you want to go there!
- Daily probiotic- to restore the good bacteria
- Take a break from alcohol and coffee
- Quit sugar
- Reduce wheat and gluten containing foods
- Green juice daily
- Careful with fruit! Choose the lower sugar fruits like: berries, green apples and grapefruit. Avoid dried fruit, mango, watermelon and dates for now!
- Use chlorella or a potent green powder – to clean your insides! (Found at most health stores). Synergy Natural is the best!
Advice: See a nutritionist or naturopath to get guidance for a good gut and liver cleanse. They will work with you to ensure your body eliminates toxins efficiently through the liver and kidneys so impurities don’t flood through the skin.
6. SLEEP- give your body a chance to regenerate new cells, please! 8 hours!
I was given a book that contains yummy natural skin recipes. It teaches you how to make your own skin products. Buy online, Feed your skin. This is delish!
A good natural face mask recipe that contains nutrients that create the glow!!
- 1/2 avocado- good source of omega 3, vitamin E + rich in antioxidants
- 1 tbsp manuka honey- anti- microbial
- 1/2 lemon, juice – rich source of vitamin C
- 1/2 banana mashed- rich source of potassium ( great for fluid retention and bags under the eyes) and beta carotene ( which turns into Vitamin A)
Apply mixture to skin and leave for 20 minutes.
8. EXERCISE AND SWEAT IT OUT BABY! Gets the blood flowing! Releases stored toxins and impurities.
9. EXFOLIATE – get rid of the dead cells. Use a dry brush for circulation and lymph drainage. Keeping your blood flowing and promoting lymph drainage can help keep your skin glowing!
How to use a dry brush:
- Use a soft, natural bristled brush.
- Dry brush before your shower every morning.
- Use a light pressure as you brush.
- Starting at your feet, brush in small movements up towards your heart.
- When you are done, take a shower.
10. Minimise makeup and use of fake tans. They usually contain ingredients that create hormonal havoc and promote toxic build up. Look out for natural chemical free alternatives.
I asked Nutritionist and Naturopath, Fay Fain to answer some key questions regarding skin. These were her answers:
Q & A
What is the best advice you would give to some one trying to improve their skin?
The best advise will be to drink more water or alkaline juice to clear the skin. Use Aloe Vera juice or drink Aloe resin with hot water and lemon. Add a zinc, omega oil supplement and vitamin A & C. Go to DETOXologie and get a steam and clean facial.
What are the main foods you would suggest?
Lots of greens to alkaline, fish, fruits and fresh vegetable juices are a start.
Which supplements do you recommend for skin improvement?
Zinc, Vitamin A, Aloe vera resin
Why is it so important to clean the gut for optimal skin?
Waste material, especially which has remained in the colon for some time; impacted faeces, dead cellular tissue, accumulated mucous, parasites, worms, etc. poses several problems in the gut and the shows on the skin.
This material is quite toxic (poisonous our time). These poisons can re-enter and circulate in the blood stream or skin making us feel ill, tired, week or cause us to have outbreaks on our exterior. Impacted materials impair the colon’s ability to assimilate minerals and bacteria-produced vitamins. A build-up of material and mould, bad bacteria and of course yeast on the colon wall can inhibit muscular action causing sluggish bowel movements, constipation, thrush and impurities.