One of the many things I love about the JSHealth lifestyle is having freedom with food. I love creating wholesome, nutritious snacks and treats that can be enjoyed throughout the week. These vegan banana chocolate muffins are perfect to have with a cup of herbal tea as an afternoon treat. They’re so easy to make, are packed with flavour and have a hint of indulgence with the warm, oozing chocolate filling.
Vegan Banana Chocolate Muffins
- 2 cups almond meal
- 3 tbsp chia seeds soaked in ⅓ cup water for 10 minutes
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 dates, pitted
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- ½ block (50g) dark or raw chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 160°C or 320°F. Grease a muffin tin with olive oil or coconut spray.
- In a blender, add all of the ingredients, except the chocolate and 1 tsp chia seeds. Blitz until you’ve reached a smooth consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tray, pressing pieces of chocolate into the middle of the muffins and also on top. Sprinkle with extra chia seeds and cinnamon.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes or until the muffins are golden and cooked through.
- Serve warm with a dollop of ricotta or almond butter. Enjoy!
I have plenty more nutritious, delicious recipe ideas in the JSHealth App, which is available to download from iTunes for less than $3 a week. We’re also offering a free 7-day trial. For more information about the app, click here.