Pears are best in mid winter I think. Nutrition wise- Pears are a fabulous source of fibre.
Cinnamon is anti-inflammatory and studies show it can help to keep blood sugar levels stable. I aim to have a tsp of cinnamon daily.
These were golden pears – VERY Sweet and juicy to begin with. Such an easy and wholesome recipe with very few ingredients.
These are fabulous to have for breakfast or to serve to guests at a dinner party.
Serves around 8-10 people.
- 6-8 pears
- 2 lemons/oranges
- 2-3 tsp cinnamon
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 vanilla bean sticks or tsp vanilla powder
- 5 fresh dates
- 1 cup raw walnuts
Preheat oven on 180 degrees. (on bake)
* Slice pears into wedges
* Toss in freshly squeezed orange/lemon juice and lots of cinnamon
* Place in an oven-proof baking dish
* Add fresh dates (pitted)
* Add the walnuts
* Toss all together again
* Insert a few cinnamon sticks (you could also add the vanilla bean if you want/have)
* Cover with tin foil and place in a moderate oven for about 40- 50 minutes, until fragrant (slow and low is good)
* Remove foil and grill for 10 minutes – top layer will become roasted and chewy.
Serve with a dollop of your favourite Greek yoghurt or coconut ice cream/cream.
Or eat with porridge for brekkie.