This is a perfect spring salad with lots of sautéed mushrooms and a healthy kick of chilli! Leeks are amazing prebiotics – meaning they help feed the good bacteria in your gut, which is so essential for overall health. I love to keep this as a vegetarian option, using just goat’s cheese, but you could also add some simply grilled organic chicken or red meat if you prefer.
Warm Mushroom, Leek & Goat’s Cheese Salad
Serves: 2 as a main, 4 as a side
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 leek, chopped finely
- 2-3 tbsp goat’s cheese
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 cups mixed greens (I used a combination of spinach and kale)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Chilli flakes, if desired
- In a heated medium-sized frying pan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil then add the leeks and sauté until translucent or golden.
- Add the mushroom to the pan and allow them to cook well with the leeks (3-4 minutes).
- Season the mushrooms and leeks with salt and optional chilli. Throw in a handful of sunflower seeds to cook with the leeks and mushrooms.
- Add fresh mixed greens to a large serving bowl then top with sautéed leeks and mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with goat’s cheese and extra seeds and chilli, if using. Enjoy!