Good health starts in the kitchen – your kitchen. Make it a goal to eat home cooked meals as often as possible – challenge yourself to no more than one meal out each week. And the best way to do that? Preparation!
Preparation truly is the key to good health. It’s very important to set aside some time each day or at the beginning of the week (my personal preference) to prepare healthy meals and snacks. Stock your fridge and pantry with health essentials to support your goals through the week. This way, you’ve always got healthy meal and snack ingredients on hand.
Some easy ways to start:
1. Weekend shopping. Make your big trip to the market on the weekend so that you can purchase lots of fresh produce, lean protein, and bulk grains for the coming week. Prepare a list of general meal and snack ideas for guidance – the JSHealth Restart Plan provides a full shopping list and lots of ideas to get your started!
2. Prep in bulk. Prepare large batches of things like roasted vegetables, beans, quinoa, and even salads (without the dressing) on Sunday so that your weekly meals come together in a snap! You can mix and match using different delicious seasonings and toppings like nuts and seeds, avocado and of course a variety of protein so that each meal is unique and exciting for your taste buds.
3. Have healthy snacks on hand. Snacks are an important component to prep as well. If you find yourself too hungry you’re more likely to grab whatever you can find, so have healthy snacks at the ready.
- Veg out! Keep pre-cut veggies like carrots, celery, cucumber and peppers in sealed containers to munch on with hummus or tahini.
- Chia pudding is another yummy snack that you actually need to make in advance so that the chia seeds have a chance to set – it will keep in the fridge for a couple of days for easy snacking, just top with fresh fruit, nuts and seeds for a delicious energy boost.
- And my personal favourite – protein bliss balls! I always prep a batch on Sunday so that I can easily grab one or two to keep in my purse. It’s the best travel snack!
Preparing for a healthy week of eats is so simple, and truly one of the best ways to keep yourself on track. Pick a day this weekend to do this for yourself – and tell me what you prep! I’d love to hear from you in the comments and see your healthy creations on social media – just tag the #jshealth and #thecleanlife!